Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Jun 13, 2002, 9:22 PM   #1

Default Epson Rules!

I Love my Photo Ink Jet Printer...Great Ink! Great Paper! Great Photos!
Want a great 6 Ink printer?...GO EPSON!

[Edited on 6-14-2002 by tmoy]
tmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2002, 8:16 PM   #2

Default Well...

I've had a bunch of Epsons and have two of them hooked up to my system right now... an old 850 and a 1270. They've always worked fine for me and are inexpensive to operate because of low cost "clone" ink.

Lots of folks have had problems with Epsons, mostly clogging jets. So far they've worked fine for me.

I use the 1270 primarily for photos and the 850 for everything else, switching via software at printing time. I buy ink from carrotink.com. Excellent service, tho' not always the cheapest web site.
Old Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2002, 12:48 PM   #3

Default Epson has weak support for Mac OS X

I love my Epson 785EPX and will likely buy their P2200 at some later date, BUT, I am severerly hampered by their failure to adequately support Apple Mac OS X. OS X has been out for more than a year now and they still do not have fully operational drivers to support it.

Apple people are heavy supporters of digital photography. Epson really needs to get moving here.
golfzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2003, 3:24 PM   #4

If you go to epson.com you will find drivers for the mac OS X. There are actually two. They were blowing it but they're finally picking up the ball.
jsimmssea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2003, 7:16 PM   #5

Default Support for Apple Computers

Have you thought about moving up to Windows XP. With out question the best operating system on the market. Unlike Apple every major manufacturer supports it.

Eat Apples, Compute with XP. Bill will love you. :!:
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 12:40 PM   #6

Default Windows XP

"Best operating system in the world"
Hardly! Not the worst, either. That honor goes to Windows ME. Second worst is XP. There are a lot of people who swear by it but I've seen ten times as many that swear at it.

Although it is much more expensive, Windows 2000 Professional is much more stable and has much fewer problems. I am a participating member in the forums as www.train-sim.com. Every day I see reports of people having problems with XP. Some of these can be attributed to operator error but most are driver and kernel problems.

I am currently running Windows 98SE at home and Windows 2000 Professional at work. My next upgrade at home will be to WIN2K Pro. I don't want XP anywhere near my computer.

That's all I have to say about that!
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 1:19 PM   #7

but then your just plain wrong.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 3:16 AM   #8

Recently very fed up with my Epson 860. Black ink leaked empty just after 2 months installed rarely used (maybe defective cartridge or improper insertion). The printer software still think it's full. Had to force change the cartridge - made it print and off the power to access its cartridge (anybody has better way to do this?). Now the ink gauge is not tally with the actual ink volume. A physical detector is better than software monitor.

Spent an hour doing nozzle check printing and flushing. Nearly half of the inks gone (the stupid printer also flushed the colour print head!!) but still ended up with 2 clogged nozzles with the black ink.

Also I think clogging problem is least relevant to type of inks used. For years I've tried Epson, Nippon, MicroJet, Sepoms, never clogged only until this time it leaked dry. Just print a Nozzle Check Pattern (uses very little ink) occasionally which will also flush the print head. Epson printers are advised not to be left unused for a long time.
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 9:22 AM   #9

now you have said you have used many different inks. was it an epson cartridge that leaked?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 10:05 AM   #10

No it wasn't. But it might be a lemon or my own fault. First time in a few years.
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote