Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Mobile Devices (Tablets, Smart Phones) > IOS (Apple iPad, iPhone)

Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:44 PM   #1
Administrator

Default Apple iPhone 5S and 5C

Apple announced two new iPhones (the 5S and 5C) to replace the current generation model. You can find more information about them in this news article at Steve's, along with more info on the integrated iSight cameras:

A Closer Look at the New iPhone 5S and 5C iSight Cameras

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:59 PM   #2

The iPhone 5S and 5C photo samples look impressive. The sensor is larger, IS, 10 fps burst, true tone flash, full 1080P HD video, panoramas with HDR, whats not to like about that, unless your in the camera selling business.
Now if they could only make them durable to where they don't break when dropped. I have seen too many newer iPhones get the shattered screens from falls only 3 feet high.
Maybe waterproofing them up to the depth of a toilet would save quite a few also.
My 3 Y/O iphone is still going strong but it's camera is not very good.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 8:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
true tone flash
I caught that in the release. It'll be interesting to see if you can get manual control over that and maybe do something like the ColorSplash as in the Lomo cameras?

Quote:
Now if they could only make them durable to where they don't break when dropped. I have seen too many newer iPhones get the shattered screens from falls only 3 feet high.
My daughter cracked her iPod touch. We got it fixed . . . but after that its lived its life in a Griffin case.

Quote:
eMaybe waterproofing them up to the depth of a toilet would save quite a few also.
Yeah. What is up with that? I know 3 people that have either dropped their phone in the toilet or bathtub. Anywho . . . all of them I told them they should go look at the LifeProof (TM) case. That's if they want to keep dropping their phones into the toilet.

Take care, happy shooting!

My daughter just joined me as I was adding the Smilies and said I "had" to add the one with the camera. <grin>

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Sep 14, 2013 at 8:44 AM.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 8:43 AM   #4

Oh, yeah . . . I guess besides letting you drop your phone into the toilet . . . the LifeProof case is also good for letting you take you phone on vacation (to the beach, poolside, Niagara <grin>, etc. without worrying about it so much.)

Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
The iPhone 5S and 5C photo samples look impressive. The sensor is larger, IS, 10 fps burst, true tone flash, full 1080P HD video, panoramas with HDR, whats not to like about that, unless your in the camera selling business.
Also interested to see if any of the new features will work on my iPhone 5 with iOS 7 when it is released next week.

I'm really intrigued by the burst mode feature. It is supposed to propose the best shot of the group, automatically. Would love to know how software can make that determination! Does it give priority to a face or faces in the picture? Sharpness? Somehow evaluate the composition?

Craig
PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 11:18 AM   #6

My droid phone's battery is starting to die, and I can't make up my mind whether I should just get a new battery for it or buy a new phone all together. The old one is probably 4 years old and is still working though the case is cracked from a hard landing in a parking lot. Since I'm otherwise Mac-based, I'm thinking an iPhone makes a lot of sense. Would the extra photo capabilities of the new phone make it worth the extra cost over going with either something current or another droid phone? I'm not too sure of going totally keyboard free either, my current phone has a separate keyboard and I think the touch pad is almost as bad as the camera. On the other hand, the camera on my iPad is quite useable. But then, I have a small camera that goes with me everywhere. Choices, choices! Would love to know what others think about all this.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 7:58 PM   #7

I am in lust for the iPhone 5s. The fingerprint sensor and the camera are the two killer features for me. Now, if I can just convince my wife to take my 5 and I'll get the new 5s...

Craig
PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Choices, choices! Would love to know what others think about all this.
IMHO . . . another thing to consider is the Apps.

All of a sudden . . . its not just that you have a phone that happens to have a camera . . . now you have a computer along for the ride as well.

For instance . . . I started using iMovie on our MacBook and its pretty cool! I've been thinking it would be cool to put together a slide show / movie while on vacation, of the vacation so that when the vacation is over I can play the video for the girls on the ride home or for friends and family when we get home. But not taking the MacBook, but doing it on a portable device. So I've been checking out iMovie on the iPad / iPad mini and the iPod in store. Sat there putting together a show with the demo pictures and music in store. And its pretty cool.

So I've been trying to decide . . . iPad or Android tablet?

And right now . . . I'm looking to see if there is a similar App to iMovie on the Android platform. If so . . . I might go for an Android tablet. If not, I might go for the iPad / iPad mini.

Just a thought . . .

Take care and Happy Shooting!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:52 PM   #9

Good point about the software. I've always heard that Snapseed was one of the best photo software programs for mobile devices - is it available for the iPhone?

I don't have to think about the iPad question as I already have one along with a 17" MacBook Pro, and an 11" MacBook Air (for times when I want a computer but not a heavy one. It only has PSE6 and LR3 on it, though I've thought about upgrading it to LR5 and leaving the Pro at LR4, since there's a reason I don't want to upgrade it to Lion). It was great having a small camera, the MacBook Air and a portable Thunderbolt hard drive on my recent trip to B.C., where I had plane changes in Vancouver. And it wasn't such a big deal to throw in the iPad also. I never did end up listening to the audiobook I was listening to on the iPod, though I had thrown it along with a set of Bose headphones in the computer bag at the last moment.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:51 PM   #10

Snapseed . . . the name sounds familiar . . . did a search on my Android phone but nothing came up. Maybe my phone is too old . . . my phone is really old and slow . . .

I haven't thought about an iPhone for myself because my phone is through work and I can't justify asking for an iPhone. So unless I want to be out of pocket . . . the phone I get is the phone I get . . . so if I want iMovie . . . it would be through a tablet.

Is your phone still kicking? <grin>

Take care and Happy Shooting!