Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Mobile Devices (Tablets, Smart Phones) > IOS (Apple iPad, iPhone)

Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:06 AM   #1

Default My iOS 8 woes

I wanted to share my recent experience with my iPhone 5S and Apple's new iOS update. iOS 8.0 was not good for me. I updated OTA (Over the Air), and on top of that taking about 2 hours, after the update my phone was buggy and slow; kind of like an Android phone normally operates

I was experiencing sluggish performance in various apps, including core iOS apps like mail, messages, etc. Wi-Fi was also being wonky, and sluggish. Certain features were also not working, like the send a text message feature when you decide not to take an incoming call. This feature allows you to send a canned text to someone who's trying to call you when you can't take their call (e.g. "I'll call you right back", etc.), or you can make a custom one. This feature failed twice on me while running iOS 8. Once it just locked up my touch screen, and only after hitting the home key did the screen start to respond normally. The second time that this happened (just minutes later), I was able to touch custom, but then the messages app locked up. While only twice doesn't sound bad, that's the only two times I tried to use the feature, so that was a 100% failure rate for me. Needless to say, I was NOT happy with iOS 8.0.

Last night I updated to iOS 8.0.2 (OTA again). Right away, I noticed the sluggish performance I had been experiencing vanished, and my phone is now operating quickly, like it did with iOS 7. I haven't been able to test the send a text feature described above yet, however all of the other apps that were being sluggish and buggy are now working normally. Wi-Fi seems to be back to normal as well.

For those looking to upgrade, I've read that updating via iTunes with your device plugged into your Mac or PC is best. It appears that I was an anomaly with this update. Most of the other individuals I spoke with that had updated to iOS 8.0 did not have the same issues that I did. Either way, kudos to Apple for releasing the fixes so quickly with 8.0.2.

As for the updated features that were included with this new iOS version. So far I'm liking them, specifically the updates to the messages app. It's more user friendly, and sharing photos is much easier and faster. I haven't had time to play with some of the other new features, but in time I hope to.

I hope you all find this helpful.

-billy
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2014, 11:04 AM   #2

Thanks Billy, I must saw this post today. I waited until iOS 8.1 was released to upgrade my iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. I shouldn't have bothered. Both devices are now sluggish and occasionally buggy. Yes, both work but all the joy of the normal Apple interface is gone.

Apple should have known better (and, frankly, so should I): The processors in the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S are just old enough that performance takes a real hit with the iOS 8. It shouldn't have been offered for these devices. But I was hoping that there would be a replay of the iOS 7 scenario, where performance on older devices was dramatically improved with iOS 7.1.

I can't help but think that Apple did, in fact, know better and cynically pushed iOS 8 to the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S to nudge those stubborn users to upgrade to new devices. The question now is, do I reward Apple for such behavior by upgrading my iPad and iPhone this Christmas?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:22 PM   #3

I have since upgraded to 8.1, and my 5S is no longer buggy. Performance seems OK, however I still feel it's not at the same level that I experienced with ISO 7. I have yet to upgrade my iPad 2 or iPad 4, as I am scared the new update will render them sluggish as well.

I'm a new Apple convert, and at first I was VERY happy with my iOS devices. Now, I'm thinking of going back to a flip phone and a laptop....
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
I have since upgraded to 8.1, and my 5S is no longer buggy. Performance seems OK, however I still feel it's not at the same level that I experienced with ISO 7. I have yet to upgrade my iPad 2 or iPad 4, as I am scared the new update will render them sluggish as well.

I'm a new Apple convert, and at first I was VERY happy with my iOS devices. Now, I'm thinking of going back to a flip phone and a laptop....
I have to admit, that option has crossed my mind a few times. Just think, you could stop paying for all of that expensive data...
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:49 PM   #5

And you think Windows 8.1 is any better LMAO!

I hear and feel the pain to.

I only update, just the one phone, and leave everything else outdated. until you are forced to. My Mini, and other phones are not updated! I rather ruin one, than all. Not a guenea pig!
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:25 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
And you think Windows 8.1 is any better LMAO!
I don't think Windows 8.1 was every mentioned, only IOS 8.1 ;-)

When I saw your comment, I wrote a long response about what I dislike about Win 8.1 explaining why I prefer to run Linux on my machines that are setup in dual boot configurations with Windows 8.1 and linux on them, complete with screen captures, etc. (before realizing that Win 8.1 had never been discussed in the earlier posts in this thread).

So, I removed it as not to be too far off topic.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I don't think Windows 8.1 was every mentioned, only IOS 8.1 ;-)

When I saw your comment, I wrote a long response about what I dislike about Win 8.1 explaining why I prefer to run Linux on my machines that are setup in dual boot configurations with Windows 8.1 and linux on them, complete with screen captures, etc. (before realizing that Win 8.1 had never been discussed in the earlier posts in this thread).

So, I removed it as not to be too far off topic.

I generally said. Nothing more.

IOS8, well rather update the system, update to a newer phone. And you think all will be A-Okay,YEP in most ways lol

happy turkey day Jim
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:34 AM   #8

this is not nice
MichiMais is offline   Reply With Quote