Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Kodak (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/kodak-24/)
-   -   Big surprise on my early morning walk (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/kodak-24/big-surprise-my-early-morning-walk-80766/)

kashka Feb 12, 2006 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Early this morning the dawn light looked so nice I thought I'd brave the elements and go for a walk...I noticed smoke a few blocks toward the center of town but thought it was just the local ethanol plant..this is what I found..

kashka Feb 12, 2006 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Our biggest and oldest church..

kashka Feb 12, 2006 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
another..

kashka Feb 12, 2006 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There wasn't a whole lot of light and it was against the newly risen sun..I am going back later and get some shots of the ice..Unfortunately it was arson..they caught someone this morning at 4:30..:cry:
lisa

bigdawg Feb 12, 2006 11:01 AM

Lisa the wife wanted to know if you have a shot of the church before it burned? I feel so sorry for the church members. That would be quite a shock. I, being the son of a preacher know how a church can be the only comfort and sometimes the only outlet some folks have. Really a tragedy. I hope no one was injured!

Dawg

kashka Feb 12, 2006 11:35 AM

Sorry..I don't have a picture of the church before this happened but I may be able to find something on the towns website later.Yes its a real tragedy for the town...it was much more than just a church.. a daycare..group function...meeting rooms...The shame is that it was burnt intentionally..stuff like that normall doesn't happen in small town Manitoba.Luckily it started very early this morning so no one was inside.
lisa

FaciaBrut Feb 12, 2006 11:47 AM

That last photo was pretty dramatic. Any idea of what motivated someone to torch a church? Mentally unstable? Revenge?

kashka Feb 12, 2006 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There's nothing but rumours right now but they have two in custody..apparently not local but from the nearby small city..everyone is shaking their heads as to why..I mean why burn down a church in a town of 2000..its a mystery but I am sure time will tell.Dawg..sorry couldn't find any old photos but tomorrows weekly paper will prob have something..I'll check it out.Here's a couple shots about 2 hrs later..it's pretty well gone.

kashka Feb 12, 2006 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another.....

bigdawg Feb 12, 2006 3:28 PM

We've had 7 fires so far in this state and all are attributed to arson. The churches that burned are all very small community churches in rural areas. No one has any Idea why . The FBI has become involved in these and they will find who did it!

Dawg

MrBlue Feb 12, 2006 4:00 PM

Wow Lisa, what a horrible thing to happen to your church. I just hope the people of your town will rally together and build another church bigger and brighter than the previous one. I wonder what would make a person or persons do such a cowardly deed.

mr blue

kashka Feb 12, 2006 4:26 PM

Yes..it definitely is strange that someone would burn a church..and what Dawg was saying about the churches out his way.There sure are some strange things happening these days..nothing is sacred anymore.

mtclimber Feb 12, 2006 4:34 PM

Many thanks for recording and sharing this tragedy with us, Lisa-

It is a shame that events such as this have become a more common part of what is we loosely call society. Its sad.

MT

dan279 Feb 12, 2006 4:36 PM

I can probably count the number of times I've been to church on my fingers, but I have deep respect for them and feel sad for the loss of them

Dan

kashka Feb 12, 2006 5:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know what you are saying,Dan..I'm not much of a churchgoer either but I feel for those who do.But if anything it will bring their community closer.
Mt..you're welcome..these are the first shots with my new camera..heck of a way to break it in..I just took these last two about half an hour ago...I guess the cleanup will begin tomorrow.

kashka Feb 12, 2006 5:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hope they keep the steps and incorporate them into the new church..be nice to have something to remember it by.

Boily Feb 12, 2006 5:23 PM

Nice sharp and colourful shots!!!!

I really like the 4th andlast one...

Boily

kashka Feb 12, 2006 5:28 PM

Thankyou Boily!..I think I am going to like the 7590..(not that I had anything against the 6490)..Kodak has made me happy again.:-)

mtclimber Feb 12, 2006 6:02 PM

Lisa-

The 6490 did a great job with these photos. I especially like the sillouehted fireman. You will enjoy the 7590.

MT

kashka Feb 12, 2006 6:22 PM

MT..this was the 7590..just took it out the box last night so today I was really hoping it was similar in functions/controls as my old one.It took a little to get used to all the icons in the display and I have to read up on the histogram thing yet but so far I am happy with it.Couldn't be too creative today as I lost my gloves Friday and it was -18C (around 0 F I think) so I didn't fiddle around with the controls too much.:shock: <---cold hands
:lol:

mtclimber Feb 12, 2006 8:17 PM

I apologize, Lisa-

That was my mis-reading error. The fact remains that the photos are excellent and you did a great job. Congratulations on doing so well with such a small learning curve.

MT

mtclimber Feb 12, 2006 8:19 PM

I apologize, Lisa!

That was my error. You did a great job. The photos are excellent. You are a quick learner. Congratulations!

MT

kashka Feb 12, 2006 8:55 PM

No need to apologise....I have to give the camera most of the credit..it's a wonderful piece of technology.:-)
lisa

05_Silver_Allez Feb 12, 2006 8:56 PM

That is really a tradgedy, although the capture of these shots is wonderful!

kashka Feb 12, 2006 9:01 PM

Thanks Silver..I felt kind of bad running around taking shots from all over while this local heritage building was dying but I was able to share the photos with some locals who missed it.But yes..very tragic for the local church community.

smiles Feb 13, 2006 7:58 AM

Hi Lisa,it breaks my heart to hear of someone burning yet another church,makes you wonder what our society is coming to.Hopefully your community will come closer together,and as you said rebulid.

Glad you like your 7590,I do mine.You sure did get some good shots,

Sandy

kashka Feb 15, 2006 8:50 PM

Thanks Sandy! Was away for a couple days..just got home and heard they charged three people....supposedly they poured gas down the chimney.The motive is unclear right now but I am sure we will be hearing why soon.:sad:
lisa

bigdawg Feb 15, 2006 11:57 PM

They are up to ten churches here in Alabama and no real suspects as far as I have heard. It's a crying shame!

Dawg

kashka Feb 16, 2006 6:28 PM

An update..the one suspect has just been charged for a unsolved rural United Church fire that occured a couple years ago.It was another heritage site but a much smaller building.Also added was two charges of cemetary vandalism where over 100 stones were destroyed.This guy definitely had a problem..I hope they lock him up along time.There's word they may make him come to town and apologise in front of the congregation(sp?).
lisa