Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Kodak (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/kodak-24/)
-   -   DX6490 tips on focussing in lowlight (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/kodak-24/dx6490-tips-focussing-lowlight-39313/)

nafta Dec 3, 2004 4:02 AM

Hi, I'm a new owner of the nearly perfect(considering the price) DX6490

I have noticed that there are almost proffesional photographers roaming around on this forum

I'd be very pleased if you would post some tips on focussing in lowlight.

I'll be visiting an indoor danscompetetion this weekend at Frankfurt, Germany and would like to take a few good shots there.

Thank you.

Cold Snail Dec 3, 2004 8:45 AM

I'll ask a few questions first if you don't mind.

Focusing or exposure?

What sort of lighting is at the venue? (dark, bright)

How far away will you be sitting?

Are you allowed flash photography at the event?

If you could answer these few questions, I should be able to answer, but be warned, the camera will be used in PASM, not auto.

All the best - Paul.

nafta Dec 5, 2004 5:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dis not read your post before I left Paul

The pics I make are mostly of persons standing still recieving throphys, so I did some experimenting myself

I set the camera to landscape with the idea to narrow down the focusarea

I used a tripod and set the camera to burstmode, no flashand hoped to get a couple of sharp pics per burst.

It worked about 50% of the shots the only problem I had was the focussing but I began to getthe hang of it during the weekend.

I also did a few handheld flashshots but I think I'll need a external flash for those distances ( about 8 to 10 meters)

Here's an example with out flash

nafta Dec 5, 2004 5:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and with flash 5meters distance

I prefer the one with out flash

Tom Overton Dec 5, 2004 10:07 PM

Considering the conditions, I'd say both those shots are quite acceptable. Keep it up and Paul will be asking you for advice. (me too) It's really hard to get consistent shots with the 6490 in low light. It takes a lot of patience andmore thana little bit of luck.

Good work.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

brianhare Dec 6, 2004 4:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yup,,,low light photography can really challege you,,and your equipment...

It`s a lot of fun learning too,,,,

Brian

fgreenhut Dec 8, 2004 10:48 PM

Brian,

Do you recall your settings for this photo?

Fred

bishopprice Dec 9, 2004 12:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, just thought i would throw mine up here. Two words. Tripod, external flash. Need one or the other. OK. that was three:blah:. I shot this on tripod. Cam was basically on auto mode no flash. 2.8 1/16 iso 140 I think, but don't hold me to that. i love shooting w/ this camera. i am looking to go get a dslr, but that will take some saving for. i am enjoying this baby in the meantime.

Tom Overton Dec 9, 2004 6:11 AM

Nice place you've got there. :-)

I'm impressed that you got this shot in auto mode with no flash. Good job.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

brianhare Dec 9, 2004 4:20 PM

Fred,the settings were 1/4 sec at f3.2 ...iso was at 80 and i changed the white balance to tungsten.....most of the other shots i took that night were the same but at 1 or 2 seconds shutter...

Brian

fgreenhut Dec 9, 2004 4:32 PM

Thanks Brian.
Great shot too. I would imagine you used a tripod.

Fred

nafta Dec 9, 2004 6:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd like to see you guys post some pictures of people in lowlight conditions with the settings mentioned

For me that's a greater challenge than still scenerys because you don't have the time to take the shot over and over again untill you get it the way you want it.

Let's make a little contest out of itwith the rules being no flash, just tripod, indoor low lighting, subjects; people

Maybe some of us can learn something.

Here's a start

Anyone up for the challenge?

1/8 3.20 75mm iso 140 tripod no flash

nafta Dec 9, 2004 6:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and another one

1/8 3.20 380mm iso 140 tripod no flash

brianhare Dec 9, 2004 6:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well,,,i have tons,,,but i do not post pics of people on the internet,,,any i know wouldn`t like it....

Here`s a pic of Sarah the minature schnauzer in low light......she figures she`s a person.....

Brian

brianhare Dec 9, 2004 7:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here`s another interesting one,,sorry,,no people..

Brian

Cold Snail Dec 12, 2004 12:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Brian.

I thought that your wife took the moody Sarah photo?

If this is a lowlight mini comp, here's one of mine.

Edit:ISO 80, M mode, centre spot metering, f4.5 at 3 seconds.