Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Kodak (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/kodak-24/)
-   -   Is the kodak Z-980 Camera Being Quietly Discontinued? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/kodak-24/kodak-z-980-camera-being-quietly-discontinued-161972/)

mtclimber Nov 7, 2009 11:15 AM

Is the kodak Z-980 Camera Being Quietly Discontinued?

Based on a long thread on the www.dpreview.com, Kodak Folder Discussion Group, it appears that Kodak may indeed be quietly discontinuing the 24X optical zoom Z-980.

That would leave the new Kodak Z-950 as the "sort of" flagship of the Kodak camera line pending a January 2010 announcement of a wholly new addition to the product line. That January addition has created a flurry of speculation about what the monumental January announcement will actually introduce.

A persistent, though unverified, rumor is that Kodak will enter the 4/3 marketplace with a completely new upscale camera.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce.

Thegreygeek Nov 16, 2009 8:22 AM

Yep, Again Kodak's Marketing Dept., doesn't quite get it. Perhaps they only ordered so many to be made, and they can't negotiate a better price for a second batch? There are some left at various WalMarts for $379.oo. Probably should pick one up, and put it on EBAY and make a quick $50-$60.
Bob

mtclimber Nov 16, 2009 9:18 AM

You are very correct, Bob-

Walmart is the only place that I know of with Z-980 inventory. And yes, I called Kodak and was told that the Z-980 will no longer be produced.

Sarah Joyce

Almar Nov 18, 2009 5:41 PM

Sarah Joyce, I hope the camera won't suffer the same fate as the P880 and if you read the Kodak forum on DPreview you'll know what that is.:mad:

And it seems to have turned quite a few people against Kodak but then I suppose that Kodak makes the most money from the "soccer moms" choices of the el cheapos.:dontknow:

Regards, Almar.

mtclimber Nov 18, 2009 11:13 PM

Almar-

Yes, I am very familiar with the P-880 and in fact, I own one. The problem with the Z980 is that the remaining inventory is being depleted rapidly. As of today, www.walmart.com is the only site that I know for sure still had inventory and they were offering $0.97 shipping fee.

Kodak has always had a funny way of doing business. Yes, they had hoped to focus on the low cost camera market, but that has not been a total success either. The rumor is that Kodak will ricochet into the m4/3 market with an announcement scheduled right before PMA in January 2010.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber Nov 21, 2009 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
21 November 2009

Hi there, Folks-

Here is the latest of the Z-980 situation. The only major retailer with any inventory of Z980 cameras has been www.walmart.com.

Kodak continues to do their "fancy dance," but everyone agrees that the Z-980 is finished and now out of production, just like the great P-880 camera of several years ago.

Sarah Joyce