Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Kodak (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/kodak-24/)
-   -   For Paul - Detroit Panorama (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/kodak-24/paul-detroit-panorama-52211/)

Tom Overton Apr 12, 2005 5:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This one's for Paul. Thanks for the tips on shooting panos with the 6490. I've almost gotten the bugs out of the process. (next time I'll remember to take my polarizer off - it creates too much difference in the sky hues:shock:)

I know this is not a finished product. I probably won't be able to colour-correct the whole sky, but this is my first reasonable stitching attempt. (by the way, this is all done by hand in PSE)

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

P.S. I would really appreciate suggestions as to how to improve this technique.

dan279 Apr 12, 2005 6:35 PM

Hi Tom...I realize you're looking for help and criticism on this,but to my untrained eyes it looks very nice indeed

Dan

Bob Mevis Apr 12, 2005 8:46 PM

Hi Tom'

I second what Dan said. I think it is a very good panorama.

Regards
Bob M

bigdawg Apr 13, 2005 1:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know Tom, If you did a better job than that I'd be afraid you'd be too good to talk to an old dawg like me. I only hope my first serious stitching attempt is half as good as that one. I can't see the seams but maybe I'm not as good at finding them as a panaramist might be. Gold star and pat on the back from the Dawg.

Big Dawg

Pano Dawg

Cold Snail Apr 13, 2005 4:51 AM

Very nice work Tom.
I used the Panorama Factory's program for mine because I'm too lazy to do them myself.

The sky is always the main problem, I'm sure a little colour correction in Photoshop should cure it.

Looking forward to seeing some more later on.

Paul.

Cold Snail Apr 15, 2005 6:43 AM

Tom.

I've come back for a second look and like it even more.
Will it be ok if I use it as a desktop for a couple of days?

Paul.

Tom Overton Apr 15, 2005 7:17 AM

Paul, I would be honoured.

Tom

P.S. I've done a little more work on this, and I've been able to get rid of the more obvious "banding" but the sky hues are still out of whack... I blame the polarizer. (and myself:roll:) I'll re-post if I ever get it straigtened out.

DGehman Apr 15, 2005 9:58 AM

The polarizer certainly will create huge differences in the sky depending on the location of the sun and the direction of your camera.

You may to just fudge a bit - do the panorama, then mask out the real sky and drop in a single sky photo. Easy enough in Photoshop or Photopaint, and probably a number of other image editing packages.

Dave

Cold Snail Apr 15, 2005 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As Dave mentioned, you can cheat a bit and Photochop another sky in, hope you don't mind Tom, but here's a simple sky shot added to your pano.

Your original pano is sitting proudly as my desktop and my icons fit very well around it.

All the best, Paul.

Tom Overton Apr 15, 2005 1:33 PM

Thanks, Paul. I like the effect. I've got a PS action that does quite a reasonable job in replacing skies. Maybe I'll give it a shot. I am certainly not a purist when it comes to adjusting photos, but my long-term goal is to get it right the first time.

Thanks again.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada