Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Kodak Pro dSLR

Old Oct 22, 2004, 7:59 AM   #11

Jim,

I agree. I don't know how far they actually went though. It could be that they were having trouble finding parts, didn't want to mess with it, ???

This was done through our photo lab, so I had no contact with the service center. I may call them and see what they have to say.

Another possibility is that my office is getting some new F100's to replace the N90S that we have. Once that happens, the N90S cameras will be used less often. I could try and do the conversion myself without buying new parts. If it's successful, then I can buy the replacement parts. That way there is no $ risk up front.
AGuyNamedSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 3:48 PM   #12
jfk

Steve,

I'm in exactly the same boat. I'll watch this with interest to see how it works out for you. I found a battery pack on eBay. I'm trying to locate a used N90 Back (with spring-loaded film guide tihng). It seems like there oughtta be a lot of these floating around -- I think I heard that the original backs had some cosmetic problem with the finish. I'm going to just pretend no one said anything at all about the 99 error! :O

Alternatively: Why Oh Why isn't there a 21st Century technology digital 4+ megapixel back for a camera as common as the N90????? I really hate to give up my SLR optics and performance but I really don't want to plunk down over a thou for an SLR digital (which probably wouldn't be as good anyway!).

John
jfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 3:57 AM   #13

I've just done it to my DCS410.

I used a MF-26 and MB-10 to convert it to full spec.

First time round the counter worked perfectly and set to #1. I recently picked up a flashgun for it, so to save a bit of cash, I put the digital back on once more for testing.

I have put it back to 35mm again and this time the error 99 has come up, all I have to do is finish the roll that's inside and it will reset.

If you do the conversion, I would recommend the MF-26 as it unlocks all the features of the N90s, the MB-10 was just for my big hands.

Any other questions, please ask.

Paul.

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 9:09 PM   #14

Thanks Paul,

I appreciate the pics too. So what is the entire list of parts that you need for the conversion?

Thanks!

Steve
AGuyNamedSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 6:48 PM   #15

Sorry about the delay in repling.
I still use the DCS digital back so I kept the standard focusing screen, but I may change it at a later date.

You could fill the hole in the battery compartment where the wires run through it, but I went with the MB-10 battery grip. The standard works just as well and is cheaper.
I also chose the MF-26 data back. (again the standard back will work, but it must have the metal guide as shown in the attached photo.)

Other than that, 4xAA's and you're up and running.
One other thing, the viewfinder is only 92% of the final image, but as long as you remember it, it's not a problem.

Attached Images

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 9:55 PM   #16

Hello,

Thank you for all of the wonderful information on fixing up an N90 from digital back to film...I found this thread through a google search, and it really helped me in the process.

I am good to go with an N90, MF-26 back, and MB-10 batter pack--everything works well, easy to convert.

My question: is there a way to remove the white border found on the bottom of the prism, when you look inside of the camera (after removing lens)? This may be the aforementioned 'focusing screen', which was necessary for framing when the camera had a digital back.

It seems like it might be possible totake it off somehow...or is there a way to get a new part, service this? Any help would be greatly appreciated...as this is the final step to getting my N90 in action. Thank you, and thanks for the thread!
anton_fotokid is offline   Reply With Quote