Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Kodak Pro dSLR

Old Jun 26, 2003, 1:02 PM   #1

Default Convert DCS420 back to film - change the back???

We've got an old DCS420 (Nikon N90) that isn't working well as a digital. We'd get more use out of it in 35mm.

What we'd like to do is convert this back to the Nikon N90 film camera. Is this as simple as changing the back on it?

Has anyone done this, or know of a source that I could get this information?

Thanks
AGuyNamedSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2004, 12:26 AM   #2

Did you ever get any reply t oyour request. I too am looking to convert our DCS420 to an N90 shooting fi,m. If anyone KNows, please share.

digitalpaul99202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:15 PM   #3

Sorry,

No I haven't gotten a reply. I just called Nikon and they said that I would have to talk to Kodak to find out if all that needs changed is the back. I'm going to call them in a bit and see if I can find someone with the answer.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:52 PM   #4
Administrator

I found a post from a user on another forum thathas arework from a DCS420to an N90s by addingan MF-26 back and new battery insert (but the post did not go into any detail about the rework -- he was just asking for help on a problem he's got with it and mentioned that it was a rework).

I sent him a PM along with a link to this thread, asking if he would consider letting you know what it would take.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:51 AM   #5

Thanks Jim,

I just talked to Kodak. It sounds like all I would need to convert is a back, bottom cover, and a battery tray.

Since I work for a county government office, we'd likely have to put out bids for new merchandise for this item. But the replacement cost shouldn't be too bad for these items. I'll give Nikon a call to see what they charge. If you come up with any additional information I would very much appreciate it.

Steve
Old Oct 5, 2004, 4:35 PM   #6

To update,

It looks like a new focusing screen is in order too. The digital screen has a big square box in the middle of it for orienting the photo.

All in all, it's looking like about $100 in parts to convert.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 2:30 PM   #7

I posted a question with my conversionin the final stage in Nikonians.org. JimCorkfieldsend me a message and asked me to posted my experience here
This are what you needed for the conversion.
1. MS-8 AA Battery Holder for N90s, $17.95 in B&H photo

2. Nikon MF-26 multicontrol back for N90/N90s - I got my from ebay of $68 like new, my luck. OR regular back - careful, do NOT get the replacement back, it's missing the film pressure plate. You can try ebay but it won't be a lot cheaper than the multifunction back. I strongely suggest to get the MF-26 to unlock the full power of the N90/N90s

Just install the new battery insert and the back and it is ready.
My only trouble was the first time Iload film, the counter keep displaying "99" instead of "1", and it didn't count up at all for the firstloaded film.The problem was gone after I finish my first film and rewind the film. The conversion cost me around $100.

kerryling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:57 PM   #8

Thanks for the info.

What about a bottom cover for the camera?

Did you just continue to use the focusing screen with the big, black box too? Those can be replaced at any time of course.

When I called Nikon, they mentioned that the replacement cover doesn't have the pressure plate. Since this is a work (county government agency) camera, I can't just buy pieces from ebay. That's prettyunfortunate since I can get the better back setup there.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 1:59 PM   #9

Our photo unit sent out our DCS420 with some of their equipment to be serviced.

They were to convert it back to 35mm.

It was returned with the following message, "Returned as received/ film transport mech is disabled via software/needs Nikon computer to reprogram"

I didn't read anything about this on any of the pages mentioning the conversion.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:47 AM   #10
Administrator

AGuyNamedSteve wrote:
Quote:
Our photo unit sent out our DCS420 with some of their equipment to be serviced.

They were to convert it back to 35mm.

It was returned with the following message, "Returned as received/ film transport mech is disabled via software/needs Nikon computer to reprogram"

I didn't read anything about this on any of the pages mentioning the conversion.
Steve:

I only found one person that has done the conversion (kerrylingthat posted here earlier, after I sent him a PM asking him to share his experience). But, my guess is that the service center you sent it to didn't understand how to do the conversion.

Kodak told you that replacing the back would work. Someone that's actually done the conversion told you that replacing the back would work. Someone that you sent the camera to tells you the film transport is disabled.

I don't buy it.

Chances are, the digital back is communicating with the camera in the same way as the film back.

The one problem thatkerryling did have was an ERR 99 (which is a film transport error that the film is not loaded correctly) for his first roll of film.

But, reading back through his forum post on Nikonians.org, he actually lost some frames when he opened the camera to see if the film was actually advancing. Well, it was advancing. All he needed to do to eliminate the error was shoot the rest of the roll, rewind it, insert a new roll, and press the shutter button. The counter reset to 1, and worked fine after that.

My guess is that the Service Center you sent it to saw the same error, assumed that it was disabled, and sent you the camera back.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote