Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Kodak Pro dSLR

Old Feb 16, 2004, 9:03 PM   #1
Administrator

Default Kodak Pro/n dSLR Review Posted

Kodak has now announced a new Pro/n dSLR. The latest addition to Kodak's venerable professional camera portfolio, the DCS Pro SLR/n digital camera contains a new high performance imaging system with an entirely new 35mm size CMOS sensor, which delivers 14 million pixels (4536 x 3024) with an available ISO range of 6 to 1600. The camera captures images at about 1.7 frames per second. Images can be saved as DCR raw files, normal JPEG files or ERI JPEG files.

It looks the same as the Pro 14n on the outside. The price is the same at $4995. Kodak has also announced that owners of the Pro 14n can send their cameras in and have them updated to a Pro/n for $1495. See our full review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...spro_slrn.html

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2004, 3:33 AM   #2

looks interesting. Perhaps the camera can take decent photos now.
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 5:20 AM   #3

Can you really pay US$5000 and get a crappy camera?

Review soon from Steve?
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 11:46 AM   #4
DBB

Hi Platinum

You may not get a crappy camera, but you can certainly get a one that gives mediocre photographs - Witness the $7000 Contax, which was well made and solid but wasn't really worth the time of day.

Since I've invested in Nikon lenses and as it turns out can use more pixels then the D1x (a camera which I love) I am looking forward to the D2x, but if the Kodak can take good pictures I'd probably spring for that.

I'm also anxious for the review.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:44 AM   #5
Administrator

Review now posted - see first message in this thread.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 4:40 PM   #6
DBB

Thanks Steve

Yes, I read the review - and because of your review I'm going to have to still wait for something else. If I did studio work, this might very well be a wonderful investment

Thanks again for saving me, money, time and most of all the potential for developing the biggest ulcer even seen in the Western World.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 5:36 AM   #7

Hi Steve, this one's for you!

With future SLR reviews, could you look at the easewith whichus pro photographers can clean the sensor. This is very important forhigh useage systems with dismountable lenses. Whilst all of us strive for high definition and welcome the Kodak pixel count, Is it a nuisance that we may not be able to clean the sensor right to the very edges? At least with the smaller sensors, one can sweep muck right off the edges but I suspect this is not possible with the Kodak SLR/n. But maybe it can. I don't ever see it mentioned. Lets hope that with increased digital uses the manufacturers will finally tear away from the contraints of the film camera bodyand give us a high definition, high pixel count sensor that we can clean properly.

Best wishes!
royconchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 2:11 AM   #8

Has anyone compared the Kodak Pro to the Fuji s2/3? Is the extra $1000.00 worth getting the Pro?
gatorphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 8:09 PM   #9

I bought my Fuji S2 when it first came out. By the time 2004 came around I had outgrown it and wanted something better. I was hopeing that the S3 would fill my wish list, but after Fuji announced it at PMA 2004, I realized it was really just a Fuji S2 Mark 2 and not for me.

The next day, Kodak announced the SLR/n. Two days later I ordered one and had the camera in my hands before the end of February 2004.

After buying the SLR/n, my S2 sat unused. It just could not hold a candle to the SLR/n. Even though built around the same N80 body, it is a completely different beast. Much, much sturdier, and the AF does not have the problems I had with my S2. The SLR/n has a 512MB buffer, enough for 18 raw frames, so I never hit the wall with a buffer full situitation, as I often did on the S2.

But most important is the image. Great color and amazing detail. I found the S2 so inferior I just could not use it any more, so I sold it off about 6 months ago. Now when I look at my S2 images, they seem soft and fuzzy.

Photodesk, which is included and free anyway, is far superior to the Fuji offering.

So was the SLR/n woth the extra money.... YES, and then some. But the real advantage of the SLR/n is the full frame sensor. If you shoot a lot of wide angle, than this alone is worth the investment. Now my 20mm is once again a real 20mm lens.

By the way, the Kodak is reputed to have one of the best dynamic ranges of any dSLR out there, even rivaling the vaulted S3.

Downside: really only useable in RAW and then only at low ISO. Most would agree that above 400 ISO it is too noisy, but at it's base ISO of 160, it is fantastic. It also has very low ISO modes (6, 12 etc.) in it's longer mode and these produce virtually noise free long exposures.

Declan

Oh, I forgot, you also get 14 real megapixels, instead of the 6 MP of the S2 or S3.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 6:37 PM   #10

Another downside is the way it depletes batteries. You have to carry spares with you at all times.
JOHNCHAP2 is offline   Reply With Quote