Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Kodak Pro dSLR

Old Jan 16, 2003, 10:00 AM   #11

after 2 days of aborted attempts i finally hit the japanese "Illusion Photography" website containing supposed early 14n "wild" shots. shots not taken under the control of Kodak. if these are factual images- Damn they're good! they a/b them with the 1Ds at the approx same focal length and apeture/speed. when you get real close you can see the slight pixel difference. but other then that they're both WOW! imagemakers.

in reference to the original Kodak released images. i felt that they were a wee bit over processed especially in the noise reduction area. which to me gave a slightly plastic look to the models. as of today they have been reposted with the noise reduction reduced to 0 and look a lot better and another model added. again this is from my point of view for what its worth.

i preferred the japanese "out the window shot" because it was a uncontrolled situation. no lighting. no setup. closer to the type of shooting i prefer to do. both cameras preformed outstanding.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2003, 4:31 PM   #12

well Steve i think you may have the inside track on the new nikons. i feel you may be correct in that nikon may stick with the smaller size imager from the feelings i'm getting from my contacts. it is making sense with the new lenses they're coming out with. like i said i've been wrong before lots of times.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 5:33 PM   #13
NHL

My feeling is they'll make money either way (on the lenses). Lot more people can afford a $2k dSLR than a $9k D1s. For the full frame Nikon mount they already have the DCS14n covered... now they just go after the 2nd prongs 1.x factor dSLR (and may be even scoop up the 4/3 as well...). Rather good tactic... Why spend money on low volume R&D when it goes obsolete every 6 months. Isn't it easier to just license or OEM the technology from Kodak since most of the parts already come from the Nikon bin? Beside letting folks re-use lenses that they already owned does not generate any revenue... selling new ones does!

They just need to work on their IS lenses to counter Canon superiority in this department! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 2:21 PM   #14

well it may finally come out now but as they say "a day late and a dollar short".

coming out with the SD slot DOA.- to be activated in a "later" firmware upgrade

and now the highest ISO at max sensor resolution is down from 640 to 400 with the statement "improvements in iso range will be sought". that sounds like a politically correct way of saying "we'll try but we don't know if we really can".

yep- a little attitude from me after 8 phone conversations with kodak getting fed the koolaid and then them coming out just days before delivery with this little tidbit of info. i just hope they follow through with improvements after all there is a small investment involved here.

sorry this can be a bit frustrating.