Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Kodak Pro dSLR

Old Jun 1, 2005, 3:30 PM   #1
Administrator

Sorry to inform you but today Kodak announced that it will discontinue the current Pro SLR/n and SLR/c digital SLR cameras. They have committed to supporting these cameras through to 2008 however.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2005, 3:59 PM   #2
NHL

Does that mean big discount?
-> A good buying opportunity here
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 4:02 PM   #3

As a Kodak fan... is a bit dissapointing to know it, maybe this is the time to get spare parts and accesories, hope NHL is right and some discount are offered.
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:22 AM   #4

Not a lot of people seem to be upset by this announcement. I would have expected tons of posts, full of uproar. Maybe these cameras never sold in the huge numbers that Kodak expected?
wingnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:22 PM   #5
Administrator

Those of us that run the review sites were surprised that Kodak stayed in the pro dSLR business this long. They should have quit with the demise of theDCS 760 in my opinion. They make great sensors and should leave making cameras to the camera companies. They are doing quite well in the consumer digicam business though.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:27 AM   #6
NHL

Yeap you don't hear much of Kodak, but along with Sony they do tend to sell a lot of digicams (at least way ahead of Nikon)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 2:45 PM   #7
Administrator

I think it's a darn shame.

Out of all of the sample images here, I personally like the ones from the Kodak DCS Pro 720x the best (and these were taken with a 24-120, which is not the sharpest lens in Nikon's arsenal).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_...x_samples.html

What the heck happend to Kodak? ;-)

Yea... they were shot in RAW and Post Processed. But, look at the sharpness, color and Dynamic Range in these photos.

Look at the 2 second exposure at ISO 3200. Try a 2 second exposure at ISO 3200 with current models and see what you get.

Heck, even the ISO 6400 photo of the cheerleader taken by Rob Galbraith cleans up nicely with any of the modern tools.

If manufacturers would have continued this trend (high ISO ability, sensors with loads of Dynamic Range), we'd have much better cameras today.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 12:15 AM   #8

Ummmmm...I hate to ruin the pity-fest, but the Kodak announcment that it will discontinue service for the current Pro SLR/n and SLR/c digital SLR cameras, is due to begin in 2008. Hardly something to be alarmed about...I would bet that Canon won't be supporting the current version of the EOS Mark-II in 2008.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 6:55 AM   #9

The camera is discontinued NOW, TODAY. Service will continue to be offered by Kodak until 2008.

By then, I would imagine the SLR/n/c would be technologicaly obsolite anyway. I only hope that Kodak comes back with a FF replacement before year's end, or that Nikon picks up the FF gauntlet.

In the meantime, my SLR/n has not ceased to work (contrary to what some posters seem to suggest) and I will continue to use it to take great photos until a suitable replacement comes along.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 2:07 AM   #10

steve wrote:
Quote:
Those of us that run the review sites were surprised that Kodak stayed in the pro dSLR business this long. They should have quit with the demise of theDCS 760 in my opinion. They make great sensors and should leave making cameras to the camera companies. They are doing quite well in the consumer digicam business though.
That is an interesting point.... they bwere never real big in film SLR's either....

mostly they made cheap/easy cameras to sell their film.... in another way great sensor, but so so equipment.

The few really good films camera they made never sold in big numbers either copared to the competition (though at least many still used Kodak film)

And because their consumer cameras are "packaged" they probably end up selling a lot of branded accessories, cards, etc.... even though many could be gotten elsewhere... but many just think get the Kodak stuff since its a Kodak camera..
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote