Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Kodak Pro dSLR

Old Oct 7, 2005, 5:06 PM   #1

Good day to you all,

New member saying Hi !

I have just received my 'new' (actually used)kodak DCS 760, what a peice of kit!

Many years ago as an avid amateur photographer, I owned a Nikon F3, that was a superb camera, but with the new digital age, cameras have got so advanced, I fear it has taken all the fun out of 'real photography'.

Please someone, tell me I'm wrong.

CI-Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2005, 5:58 PM   #2

you are wrong

set all the camera options to manual including turn off auto focus

have fun with your new toy

NO CHEATING
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 6:41 PM   #3

Hi bernabeu

I new you'd say that .... I asked for it I guess :?

I just downloaded the user manual in PDF format and printed it (all 270 pages of it!) even though the Kodak DCS 760 has been discontinued, the support for it seems to be quite good. And the latest software and firmware also still available.

I'm still a little confused about the lenses though, I have a AF 35-70 that I use on my Nikon D1, that I will be using on the DCS 760 for the time being, will this affect the metering?

I will be purchasing new lenses, but which ones do I buy?

The user manual lists all the nikkor lenses that can be used on this model (just about all the lenses that Nikon ever produced) however, I want to stick to the recomended ones. I notice that on the list, some lenses are preceeded with a 'D' would this indicate that they are disgned specifically for digital SLR's, with full metering capabilities?
Old Oct 8, 2005, 7:00 AM   #4

don't know about the kodak/nikon 'D' designation

don't forget your 1.3x multiplier (a 100mm lens becomes a 130mm lens due to the smaller 'film') - this is a good thing as you are always shooting through the 'sweet spot'

all the 'later model' AF nikon lenses should be fully functional

enjoy the new toy
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 7:21 PM   #5

Looks like a very nice camera. F5 based, 6MP and if you can find one for under $1000, I would say a bargain in todays dSLR world. I might have to look at picking one up myself, as a backup to my SLR/n. Plus it is a 1.3 crop factor. Not full frame, but better than 1.5.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 4:16 PM   #6
Administrator

These Kodaks are very nice cameras (and sometimes you can find them at really nice prices used -- especially compared to what they were selling for new). I don't think they make them like they used to anymore (real quality in a camera that's designed to last, versus being "disposable" like most computer related stuff).

Congratulations!

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 4:36 PM   #7

G'day all'

Had my first 'Photo Shoot' with newish Kodak DCS 760 today, went out early, so weather still overcast, results were still outstanding! (will post results here soon).

Not too happy with Nikkor AF 35mm - 70mm f3.3/f4.5 seemed a little 'dark' to me. I seem to remember things looking a littleclearer when looking through the view finder, when I had my F3. Maybe it's the type of focusing screen on the Kodak DCS 760 that's a little 'dark'. Still, mustn't grumble, I only paid£640.00 GBP = $1,117.80 USD on eBay, That's a good deal to me, (I'm like a dog with two cock's). :G

The kit comprised of Kodak DCS 760 Pro Body, IR filter, hand strap, 3 batteries, battery charger, camera AC adaptor, incar adaptor, 2 microflash cards, 2 IBM microdrives each with 1GB storage!

As a back-up camera, I also purchased a Nikon D1 including the 35-70 I used (above) unfortunately, the only lens I own! I will definately need more lenses, Checked out just about everywhere, and keeping an eye out on eBay for more bargains, but I notice used lenses for digital cameras arescarce.

I have my eye on a couple of candidates though, I would like some advice, or critisim, on my choice.

Nikkor 18-70 f3.5/f4.5 G IF-ED DX @ £299.00 = $522.00

Nikkor 70-300 f4/f5.6 AF @ £289.00 = $504.00

With the DCS 760 having a 1.3 crop, this shouldcover the ranges from 23mm to 390mm.

And I should be able to use these on my D1, also.What d'you think?
Old Oct 11, 2005, 6:32 PM   #8
Administrator

CI-Trader wrote:
Quote:
Not too happy with Nikkor AF 35mm - 70mm f3.3/f4.5 seemed a little 'dark' to me. I seem to remember things looking a littleclearer when looking through the view finder, when I had my F3.
I used to have one of those Nikkorlenses (but, I sold it with a camera body a while back). I ended up going to one that had similar specs with a fancier name at the time (Sigma 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 "Zoom Master"). LOL

I like a 35-70mm (it's all I really need for most of my shooting).This cheap Sigma isis my favorite "walk around" lens for Nikon models. But, it started making a "grinding" noise a while back while trying to Autofocus. So, now I use it MF only (I refuse to get rid of it, even though it's probably worthless, evenwithout some of the gears in it hopelessly worn out) .

It'snot the sharpest or brightest lens in the bag, and it certainly isn't the fastest focusing (not really slow though) or most flare resistant. But, as a walk around lens that is capable of giving some nice results in most conditions, I love it (and I've got thousands of pics taken with it that I've enjoyed with nice color and contrast). It's too bad that you have to consider sensor size with most DSLR models.

If you shop around, you can probably find one for under $50 in a lot better condition than mine (which is not for sale, despite the fact it's limited to MF only right now due to apparent problems with some of the gears). :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:10 PM   #9

Careful with the 18-70mm DX--I doubt that it will work with the DCS760 as it's a digital only lens "optimized" for the 1.6x crop factor. It should work fine with the D1, though.

CI-Trader wrote:
Quote:

G'day all'

Had my first 'Photo Shoot' with newish Kodak DCS 760 today, went out early, so weather still overcast, results were still outstanding! (will post results here soon).

Not too happy with Nikkor AF 35mm - 70mm f3.3/f4.5 seemed a little 'dark' to me. I seem to remember things looking a littleclearer when looking through the view finder, when I had my F3. Maybe it's the type of focusing screen on the Kodak DCS 760 that's a little 'dark'. Still, mustn't grumble, I only paid£640.00 GBP = $1,117.80 USD on eBay, That's a good deal to me, (I'm like a dog with two c***'s). :G

The kit comprised of Kodak DCS 760 Pro Body, IR filter, hand strap, 3 batteries, battery charger, camera AC adaptor, incar adaptor, 2 microflash cards, 2 IBM microdrives each with 1GB storage!

As a back-up camera, I also purchased a Nikon D1 including the 35-70 I used (above) unfortunately, the only lens I own! I will definately need more lenses, Checked out just about everywhere, and keeping an eye out on eBay for more bargains, but I notice used lenses for digital cameras arescarce.

I have my eye on a couple of candidates though, I would like some advice, or critisim, on my choice.

Nikkor 18-70 f3.5/f4.5 G IF-ED DX @ £299.00 = $522.00

Nikkor 70-300 f4/f5.6 AF @ £289.00 = $504.00

With the DCS 760 having a 1.3 crop, this shouldcover the ranges from 23mm to 390mm.

And I should be able to use these on my D1, also.What d'you think?
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:30 AM   #10

I would suspect that the 18-70 DX lens probably cuts off the corners at the extremely wide range, say 18-24mm, but other than that it should work fine. You might find it eminently useable. Since the DCS-760 has a 100% viewfinder, I suggest that you just mount one and see how the corners look at the widest settings.

BTW, if you don't mind the bulk of this beast and it's batteries, it's a wonderful camera. I own one, but I have relegated mine to studio work, as I just cannot get comfortable lugging a 4+ pound camera into the field.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote