Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:51 AM   #1

Had some good cloud formations here after a little rain. took these in the Tiff format. had to reformat to jpg to post wanted to see if there was any quality loss
Attached Images

aytheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:52 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:52 AM   #3

Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:48 AM   #4

cool shots!, no.2 is stunning with the reddish pinkish clouds and a sunset just above the mountains- good shot!!
Red Royalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 5:55 AM   #5

Very nice.
domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:57 AM   #6

Very nice pictures, the colours in #2 are great and I really like the last one :-)
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:25 AM   #7

Bleary eyes missed the part about those beginning as TIFF images. Have you enough experience yet to compare the results of TIFF versus JPEG?

Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:38 PM   #8

Thats a very good question Domang. But here is what i see when i look at the photos on my computer. I have a 21 inch lcd flat panel moniter that has been calibrated for viewing digital images. when i bought this computer a little over three years ago it was the latest and greatest and largest that gateway had to offer. the video card was the bigest available at the time for gaming with 256 megs of ram on the card 1 gig in the computer useing a pentium 4 , 3.0 gig processor. the only upgrade to the computer was to the 3.0 gig processor. The only reason for laying out the computer specs is that our computers are our darkrooms not only on editing photos but also how we see them and im not sure if the internal make up of a computer changes how we see the final product.
When i look at the jpg photos taken with my camera they look nice and sharp, but also look flat, for the lack of a better word. When taken in Tiff, there seems to be a seperation in the depth of the picture almost like a 3D effect with more definition.
I do find myself having to study the pictures posted here by everyone when you are talking about the effect of lighting and shadows of a photo. things that you see in an instant i find my self having to hunt for alittle while. but when i do see it i understand what is being said. I attribute this to an untraind eye. I do find that in the past few months that it is becoming quicker to see this. I dont do a lot of editing to my pictures I use the Kodak software that came with the camera and about all i do use the crop sometimes and the enhance. and here lately when using the enhance there seems to be little or no change. hopeing this means that i am setting the camera better. I have photo shop elements 2.0 and use this to resize the pictures for posting but i have been studying the manuel on it and hope to use some of its features here soon.
Sorry for being long winded on this guys but Domang ask a question that has been puttering around in my mind for a while now. All of the comments and advise i get here from everyone are more than welcome, this is how i learn, and I hope that someday soon i can graduate from the kindergarden class to the first grade.

AY
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:09 PM   #9

I agree with aytheon that I always felt subjectively that tiffs look better. (I know I'll catch flak for this unfounded statement.) In the office, I ultimately convert all the jpeg images for the real estate magazine into Tiff format/CMYK mode and that's when they seem to really come to life.

Regarding PC specs... again I agree having a calibrated monitor in combination with a "decent" video card is the most important thing for viewing your images. My computer is not state of the art by any means.... overclocked AMD Athlon XP 2200+ (equivalent to perhaps a 2.4 Pentium 4) and 2 gigs of Ram.

BTW aytheon... the current episode of PhotoshopTV.com has an excellent little tutorial about enhancing sunset photos... fast download.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:08 PM   #10

Thanks, aytheon.

I believe I do know what you mean by "flat" pics. Your sunset pics are not flatbuthave a sense of depth and distance.

I also think you are on to something with that "untrained eye" thing. I think I've learned more about what can be done by looking at other peoples' pics than by the tips I've gotten from others.