Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:23 AM   #11

Dawn-

You are very correct, post processing can take care of the problem. But perhaps we ought to discuss why this happened. The metering in the camera appears that it most probably was in the averaging position. Therefore when the metering was done within the camera,the camera exposed for the very bright highlights (the clouds) to prevent the clouds from becoming blown out. Therefore, the clouds are well exposed, but the shadows are well underexposed.

What could you have done? Well there were really two options:

(1) You could have planned for a High Dynamic Range photo which is produced by taking at least three photo of the scene, one exposed for the shadows, one exposed for the highlights (the clouds), and one exposure in the middle. Combine those photos during post processing and you would have an excellent final photo.

(2) You could change the metering mode to center weighted, or spot metering. Thus you could meter for the shadows and accept the blown out highlights. Or you could meter on the highlights and accept the detail loss in the shadows.

Personally I would choose option #1, but a lot depends on how comfortable you are with post processing.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:38 PM   #12

Sarah - thanks for the info ! :?I have a question that is going to show my ignorance as far as post processing. Are these three pictures done using a tripod? If not, how are these combined with all the little variances that occur when taking a pic hand held. I understand the concept - just not how you get the end result.:-?:-?

Dawn
in_the_gym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:01 PM   #13

Dawn-

Yes, that is the ideal time for a tripod. You need to have almost exact registration to make it work easily.

MT/Sarah
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:55 PM   #14

scrappynik wrote:
Quote:
I took this yesterday around 10/11am. I used my DX7630. Why is the bottom half so dark?! I was hoping this shot would have come out better :shock:

Niki
Exifs are not there otherwise it would be easier to help. But Dawg nailed it. Your camera compensated exposure relative to bright clouds. Did you use flash?

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:40 PM   #15

I missed that thought Atindra..And it is a good one. Fill flash if sufficient would help here!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:47 PM   #16

Ed-

Please, let take a moment out, and think about this! Fill in flash? Lordy? the shadowed area is well beyond the 30 feet range of the P-20 Flash, even if you were using the newest and the bestest. Think of a Kodak P-712 equiped with the P-20 flash. OK? Well, the flash would have reached out a full 30 feet, and folks, the shadowed area in this photo is well beyond 30 feet. in nikkie's photo. It is honestly more like 70 to 100 feet to the nearest shadowed area. So please forget the fill flash argument, IMHO.It is not anywhere near the P-20's flash range.

Your real chance lies in re-couping this photo only through post processing using a HDR composite. But, please put forward your own, well thought out, well schooled arguments, a contraire, to the HDR strategy. Am I missing something here? I am alwaysopen to any approaches to this photo situation. That is how I learn.

MT/Sarah
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:19 AM   #17

Hey there Niki! It's about bed time for me right now, but with your permission I'll try my hand at editing it tomorrow. Do you mind if I do a quick edit on your photo?
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:00 AM   #18

Morag2 wrote:
Quote:
Do you mind if I do a quick edit on your photo?

I don't mind at all Morag! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

And thank you everyone for comments, suggestions and help on why it turned out the way it did! :G
niki

scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:02 AM   #19

Me too Morag!

Dawg
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:03 AM   #20

Oh yeah MT, I'd do it with Photoshop Elements Fill flash! LOL

Dawg