Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:35 AM   #21

Niki - I saw that you gave Morag permission to edit your photo. I hope I'm notover-stepping my boundary by editing. It has taken me longer to decide whether I post this then it did the actual editing time. I just used layers to bring out the shadows, but not lighten the clouds any more than they already were. I bumped the saturation levels to bring more of the green out in the front of the photo.

I will remove if you want me to.

Dawn

in_the_gym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:05 AM   #22

Heres my edit, not perfect, but I like it over the original. And if it was done to the full image it would look a lot better (I was getting major jaggies with that scaled down internet version.

I don't remember the exact steps I did, I incresed the shadow brightness majorly, like 50%, then I lightened up the whole picture, made some minor contrast adjustments and bumped up the saturation just a tad. Hope you like it.
Attached Images

Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:53 AM   #23

Nice job Morag - I thought mine looked bright enough while working in Elements -- I guess not ! Good job !

Dawn
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:22 PM   #24

Hey Dawn,

Using a tripod is always the right way to go for panoramic shots. There is a feature in Elements that will help bring the images together. Also, there are options in some cameras (some Kodaks I know) that have a stitching feature built into them. It allows you to take three pictures and will later combine them pretty accurately. Not sure of your camera but check out the features.

As to your picture, you can try adjusting the image for either over or under exposure. If you want detail in the darker area, and if your camera has the option, take a meter reading with the camera pointed lower so the forground fills the viewfinder. Press and hold the shutter release half way to retain the settings and recompose the image as you want it. The foreground will then be exposed more correctly, though the sky will be over exposed. Depends on what you want.

You can also use the over and under controls to change exposure, the little plus and minus signs that increase by .3 increments. Just a thought to try.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:41 PM   #25

Thanks Ron - I jumped in on scrappynik's thread because I had encountered the same problem. However, using a tripod would have been out of the question, so I hoped for the best and fixed what I could in Elements. Thanks again Ron for all the info! Niki - sorry for taking over your thread !!!

Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:54 PM   #26

Dawn--no you are not overstepping any boundries :-)at all!!

Thanks for your edit Dawn and yours too Morag!! :-)

I appreciate seeing what others do to my photos in terms of helping me fix them up. I haven't had much time to mess with them lately.

Niki
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:56 PM   #27

Glad you liked it Niki, in my opinion, post processing often makes the difference between a good photo and a GREAT photo. At least as far as the viewer is concerned.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 6:56 AM   #28

A different interpretation... I preferred to keep the almost black contrast of the tree and tree row behind it. And I didn't play with color at all.
Attached Images

FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:33 PM   #29

Just 22 fill flash in PSE1.
Attached Images

pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote