Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 5, 2006, 6:30 AM   #11

On my Z650 I've used Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual modes. I like that I can keep the ISO low for low noise in those modes. In A and S modes I like that I can make, usually, just one adjustment for changing conditions. For me, M modeforces me tomake too many adjustments for what I usually do.

These modesare options that people want. If they weren't wanted then they would long ago have disappeared.
domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:12 AM   #12

Great reply Morag2. The original poster is contradicting him/herself. And since more than a year Kodak P850 is released, I've never heard, seen about so-called DOF button which he/she mentions. Even a Kodak engineer who represents on dpreview forum never mentioned about this feature. That means Original poster is making his/her review without knowing P850 or even without holding it just a single time. May be after consumer satisfaction award from JPPowers, OP feels frustrated for the other brands which he/she advocates.

I did a search and he was advocating against High ISO on consumer cameras while he asks why is there only ISO400 on P850? This shows his double standards.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:21 AM   #13

This guy has posted on several other forums mostly arguing one camera over another, but I wonder if he even owns a camera or a "real SLR".
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:06 AM   #14

Just a few observations.

It has shutter and apperture priority... why? what for?

For the inventive to have the freedom to express themselves.

Why would you need Aperture Priority if you cant check the DOF because
there is no DOF button? Useless feature.
How would non-pros know what proper aperture to set to anyway?

They learn to do it by trial and error and in the end do not have to depend on technology to set the camera for them! Makes them a better photographer in the end!

Over 1/125th is fast, that's easy to remember. But, if you use flash, the action is frozen anyway, thus, no need to set to 1/500th manually. [why does this camera only go up to 1/1000 if the C330 P&S goes up to 1/1400?]

If you are further away than 30 feet or so the flash has almost no effect so a higher ISO is needed so a faster shutter speed can freeze the action in lower light! In auto mode the camera will go higher than 1/1000 th sec. if you need the higher speed go to auto mode and get the shot that way!

Yes, the EVF is nice, but slow. Why no tilt/rotatable LCD?

If you want better control of you shots you will use the Viewfinder and not the LCD anyway! Shooting a video or a tripod noght time shot is the only time to use the LCD to shoot. Use it to review the photo not shoot it and you wil gain better control especially with higher zoom shots! Tilt rotatable LCD's belong on video cameras ...go get one and enjoy! LOL

Why only 5.1mp? Why no ISO above 400?

5.1 is the format they decided to go with. Keeps the cost down a little I guess. If you want more be patient....it's comming! LOL As for the ISO it will go to ISO 800 with some reduction in photo quality! My DX6490 in PASM allows you to go to ISO 800 but the photo quality goes to good instead of best. I'm sure the P850 does the same or simular!

However, ISO and exposure compensation settings only serve to confuse people even more; Most wont bother fiddling with them.

Actually most do find them and use them! I have two daughters that have Kodak cameras and they are the first cameras they have ever used. They both found the Exposure compensation and the ISO settings on their own and use them. My wife a total novice , when finally convinced to pick up her new C340 found the ISO settings and uses them all the time. You need to have more faith in the abilities of novices and the fact that there is so much free info available out there.

small 1/2.5" CCD sensor(same as the C330).

May be the same size but not the same CCD. Betcha on that one.

RAW. ok, nice to have. Again, non-pros wouldnt know what to do with it.

Yes they would and do everyday! The same can be said with the histogram. Novices and non- pros are learning about it every day. By putting these on non-pro cameras the technology is being spread to the masses and becoming commonplace and expected on the newer cameras. Before long no one will even notice them unless they are not on the camera...Then they will scream bloody murder!! LOLOL

If all you want(as I am sure most people do who arent pros) is a long zoom, you only use Auto and scene modes, and all the buttons confuse you, get a P&S.

I guess you mean here that pros don't want long zoom and only an amateur would want a long zoom on his camera....Then you'd be totally daft. LOL I don't know of a pro that does any wildlife or landscape photography that doesn't have some long zoom lens in his kit! He'd be crazy not to have them as you never know what is going to happen while on a shoot! Now if all you are going to do is shoot weddings or portraits you can do without the long lens. But otherwise you'd be Daft not to have one or two or in most cases several to choose from! As to the use of Auto and scene modes they are there for the point and shoot crowd for sure...I use them as well because of the ease with which my camera will capture fine photos with out the fuss and bother of finding the right setting in a fast capture! Having said that I also use the PASM settings in specific setups to capture the photos that Auto mode just will not capture! Nice to have options here. Ya' see when my wife gets ready to shoot a photo with my camera she most times doesn't like to fool with the PASM modes and just grabs it and shoots! If you had your way she wouldn't want to use my camera. Ya' never know how many people in a family are going to use a camera or their level of expertise. The P850 allows everyone to use it no matter their skill level!

If you want priority this-and-that, spend a bit more and get either the Fuji S9000 or the Lumix FZ30/FZ50. However, if you really do want all those features, and low noise, then get a real SLR.

AHH
I see now...Did you buy a P850 and were disappointed in the results you got? It just was not as easy to use as your old C330? The P850 is a Performance camera and can be a little bit harder to totally master than a C330. Or maybe you have one of the other cameras you mentioned and think EVERYONE should only have one of these because you have one! Or the one I've seen before here on this forum...Are you a paid she4ll for a camera manufacturer put out here to convince us poor Kodak owners of the errors of our ways???? Sorry but If you had a bad experience with the P850...Move on with life and let it go....Get one of those other cameras and have fun shooting. Let us get on with enjoying the Cameras we have....And that includes thousands of P850 users that are happy with thei cameras.

Oh yeah I have a SLR it's a Pentax K1000 35mm camera. What you meant is A DSLR.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:49 PM   #15

Ok, this review made absolutely no sense, so I went and reviewd all his other posts...Guess what?--none of them make any sense..No reason to get upset, cause he claims he didn't even like the Canon 20d:shock:...Now I know not to waste time reading his posts

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 6:24 PM   #16

:?LOL :?
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:06 PM   #17

I hereby wish to conclude this topic.

The State of the Brethern of Kodak Users remains STRONG!
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:23 PM   #18

"My wife a total novice , when finally convinced to pick up her new C340 found the ISO settings and uses them all the time."

I am sure she has fun switching from ISO100 to 200, as going to 400 with it
creates too much noise.

Sorry, but I aint using ISO800 with 1.2mp on the P850.

The P880 which replaces it has 8mp, but half the zoom.
Illogical.

romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:31 PM   #19

I have re-evaluated my opinion of you. Have you ever even held a camera? I'm starting to wonder. The P880 is a wide angle camera, it goes WIDER... contrary to popular belief, there are two ends to a cameras focal length, and for many shots, you need a camera that goes wider, not narrower. Ever shot a landscape shot? Probably not...

I have shot some decent shots at ISO 400, although I admit that 320 is about as high as I'll go. It has a bad ISO mode, I'll admit that, but then again, weren't you the one saying it shouldn't even be selectable, who are you to complain about how it works? You don't even want to worry about it.

Dawg's wife probably has a clue what she's doing, which means she can tell when ISO 400 will be acceptable, and if you know what you were talking about, you would know that going from ISO 100 to 200 is a full stop, which is significant, you act like it's not noticeable.

Why don't you go buy a camera? Maybe one of the C series ones, that isn't too complicated (or maybe you already have it, that would be good). Now actually use it, don't snap 3 shots say it's too hard and ask for a simpler camera.

Come back when you know what you're talking about.

romphotog wrote:
Quote:
"My wife a total novice , when finally convinced to pick up her new C340 found the ISO settings and uses them all the time."

I am sure she has fun switching from ISO100 to 200, as going to 400 with it
creates too much noise.

Sorry, but I aint using ISO800 with 1.2mp on the P850.

The P880 which replaces it has 8mp, but half the zoom.
Illogical.

Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:34 PM   #20

Boily wrote:
Quote:
:?LOL :?
Have you read his second comment? Where he talks of logic.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote