Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:59 PM   #1

My Kodak P850 review.

It has shutter and apperture priority... why? what for?

Why would you need Aperture Priority if you cant check the DOF because
there is now DOF button? Useless feature.
How would non-pros know what proper aperture to set to anyway?

Over 1/125th is fast, that's easy to remember. But, if you use flash, the action is frozen anyway, thus, no need to set to 1/500th manually. [why does this camera only go up to 1/1000 if the C330 P&S goes up to 1/1400?]

Yes, the EVF is nice, but slow. Why no tilt/rotatable LCD?

Why only 5.1mp? Why no ISO above 400?

However, ISO and exposure compensation settings only serve to confuse people even more; Most wont bother fiddling with them.

small 1/2.5" CCD sensor(same as the C330).

RAW. ok, nice to have. Again, non-pros wouldnt know what to do with it.

If all you want(as I am sure most people do who arent pros) is a long zoom, you only use Auto and scene modes, and all the buttons confuse you, get a P&S.

If you want priority this-and-that, spend a bit more and get either the Fuji S9000 or the Lumix FZ30/FZ50. However, if you really do want all those features, and low noise, then get a real SLR.

romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:10 PM   #2

romphotog wrote:

One must assume you don't care much for the camera LOL
Quote:
My Kodak P850 review.

Over 1/125th is fast, that's easy to remember. But, if you use flash, the action is frozen anyway, thus, no need to set to 1/500th manually. [why does this camera only go up to 1/1000 if the C330 P&S goes up to 1/1400?]

However, ISO and exposure compensation settings only serve to confuse people even more; Most wont bother fiddling with them.

If all you want(as I am sure most people do who arent pros) is a long zoom, you only use Auto and scene modes, and all the buttons confuse you, get a P&S.

If you want priority this-and-that, spend a bit more and get either the Fuji S9000 or the Lumix FZ30/FZ50. However, if you really do want all those features, and low noise, then get a real SLR.

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:13 PM   #3

romphotog wrote:

Quote:
My Kodak P850 review.

They use aperture priority if they don't know the camera that well because they will not know what shutter speed to use with what aperture, thats why theres Aperture Priority. It has shutter priority for the same thing you set the shutter speed and the aperture will automatically be set for you. A tilt LCD would make the camera bulkier and bigger. It's already big enough as most of us know. And as for the RAW it says right in the manual what to do with it! If your willing to do a little reading then you will know what to do with RAW.

shooting_rubber.

P.S. I think most of us here are happy with the P850. Other than a few things... One being only ISO 400 and ISO 800 in 1.2 MP mode.

P.S.S. Do a little more researching, it even has a PC Flash Sync. Port, some DSLR's (Digital Single Lens Reflex's) don't even have that!!!

P.S.S.S. I don't even think you've used one enough to see how good it really is!

-Go to http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18 and see some of the photographs i got with it.

-Go to http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18to see some night football photographs.

-Go to http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18to see some indoor Go Karting photographs at night in ISO 400!!!

Remember those night football photographs ISO 250-400!!

And you can download a free noise removal software someone in Steve's Forums gave to me.

Here is the link......http://www.imagenomic.com/download.asp Download the community/free version always use the Default Setting or Nightime Scene if the photograph is taken at night.

shooting_rubber.

shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:49 PM   #4

Why you care about non-pros? Talk about your views not what others would like or dislike.

Here you can find people are doing great with their P850 with whatever settings provided and do produce images competitive to other cameras you mentioned.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:51 PM   #5

Atindra wrote:
Quote:
Why you care about non-pros? Talk about your views not what others would like or dislike.

Here you can find people are doing great with their P850 with whatever settings provided and do produce images competitive to other cameras you mentioned.

Atindra
Exactly!

shooting_rubber.

shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:56 PM   #6

romphotog wrote:
Quote:
My Kodak P850 review.

The cameras you mentioned are operating exactly same as you mentioned in case of Apreture priority except DSLRs. Kodak P712 is 7.1 MP, are you happy? Lumix FZ series has very bad noise. I think you dont know what ISO and exposure settings do with image quality so it seems you are confused rather than others. If you spend 250+$ you should spend some time reading the manual and learn what feature is given for what purpose. Non-pros will not buy this type of camera blindly rather they would go for highest possible MPs without thinking about other technical benifits.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:04 PM   #7

I'm sorry you have such a low opinion of the P850 and evidently an equally low opinion of the many "non-pros" who own and use them. I'd like to invite you to take yourself and your negativity over to the Panasonic or Fuji forums and stay there if you have no intention of making a positive contribution to this Kodak users forum.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:16 AM   #8

Okay, you seem to be cutting straight to the point, so I'm not gonna try and make this nice and happy either. That review is biased and all around horrible.

Quote:
So that people like me, can adjust the shutter speed to what I want, and not need to worry about the aperature, and so that I can adjust the aperature to determine how sharp my picture is.

Quote:
Why would you need Aperture Priority if you cant check the DOF because there is now DOF button? Useless feature. How would non-pros know what proper aperture to set to anyway?
I'm a beginner, I don't even know what a DOF button does, but I know I get a sharp picture at f8 and I get a blurred background (high depth of field?) at wide aperatures, and I don't need any fancy "pro" button.

Quote:
Maybe we don't always want to use the flash? You seem to make fun of people who arn't pros, that would make me assume that you know enough to figure out that sometimes a flash makes a picture look washed out, sometimes it reflects and looks bad. So maybe we don't always WANT to flash. The fact that it only goes up to 1/1000 is wierd, probably the only point I agree with in your "review".

Quote:
Because the majority of the O So Wonderful "pros" you keep talking about use the viewfinder, I do not find it slow, even shooting close ups of birds in flight. I have never missed a rotatable LCD.

Quote:
Becaue it's a cheap camera, the ISO mode is pretty bad, but the camera is cheap, what do you expect, and again, 5.1MP because a big sensor costs more, and not all of us "non-pros" have an unending cash flow.

Quote:
I started photography 2 months ago and I use the ISO setting all the time, those are very useful features. So first you complain about how low the MP is (5.1 is fine for casual users), but then you don't want advanced features? So you want a camera thats easy for casuals to use but have a resolution high enough for pros but no features for pros... why?

Quote:
It's not professional but it gets the job done and then some, you can make nice 12 by 18 inches.

Quote:
MAKE UP YOUR MIND! Do you want this thing to be made for pros or non-pros? The more features the better.

Quote:
I'm not a pro, I'm a 15 year old hobby photographer, and if all I had was a long zoom I would be hugely dissapointed. All those buttons don't confuse me, I'm not professional but I have a brain.

Quote:
Some of us can't "spend a bit more" on a whim, maybe we have budgets? I'd love an SLR, want to pay for it? Maybe convince my supervisor at A&W to start paying $200 an hour.

Hopefully that addressed all the points in your review. If you want to bash a great camera, I would respectfully ask you to do it somewhere else.
Quote:

Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:27 AM   #9

Kodak came up with this "P" series for a reason, It's called "PROSUMER"

It's a consumer priced camera with some professional features. If you don't like it, We don't care. You aren't going to change our minds about the same camera that so many of the people in the Kodak forums have grown to love.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:26 AM   #10

lol ive never heard such a one sided review in my life,
Red Royalty is offline   Reply With Quote