Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:02 PM   #11

You have to get the P850 adapter. I'm pretty sure that the P850 and P880 have differen't adapters because the P880 adapter is here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search and the P850/ P712adapter is here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search. So the answer is yes. The P880 and P850 have differen't adapter. The P850 and P712 have the same adapter. Morag2gave you the right link for the TCON 17.

Hope this helps...

shooting_rubber.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:49 PM   #12

domang wrote:
Quote:
I ditto da Dawg.

But it's worth taking a secondpic without digi-zoom to see if a simple crop doesn't look better.

I agree with Domang on the normal zoom. I try to shoot both as a sort of bracketing!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:54 PM   #13

Flying Fossil wrote:
Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a tcon? Who makes it. Where does one go for information on it.

Thank you

I've done several comparison posts of the TCON lens and the normal 10X lens on my DX6490. If you'd like I'll dig up those posts and either repost them for some of the newer guys and gals or just give you the URL to them!

Dawg
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:24 PM   #14

Hmmmm, having a lot of trouble trying to "quote" anything here since I use Mozilla Firefox. Oh well, therefore the reply.

Dawg, I have the lens adapter thing sorted out. bhphoto lists the same part number as does Kodak and about the same price. There tcons however are reduced a tad and am sure I will get the Olympus for the added zoom range.

My question is which one? They list three or four different 1.7 tcon lenses. Is one better than the other, quality, or ??????

Thanks again

Foss
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:31 PM   #15

Flying Fossil wrote:
Quote:
Hmmmm, having a lot of trouble trying to "quote" anything here since I use Mozilla Firefox. Oh well, therefore the reply.

Dawg, I have the lens adapter thing sorted out. bhphoto lists the same part number as does Kodak and about the same price. There tcons however are reduced a tad and am sure I will get the Olympus for the added zoom range.

My question is which one? They list three or four different 1.7 tcon lenses. Is one better than the other, quality, or ??????

Thanks again

Foss

Hey, I just realized why I couldn't quote before under the text, it really was because I used Firefox, I'm in Internet Explorer now and it works... but it's not worth it, this page loaded twice as slowly using Internet Explorer, lol.

Anyways, you want to the 55mm Tcon, they will all have different mm measurements, but only the 55 will fit!
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:37 AM   #16

Here is the one you want.....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

That's the URL to the TCON-17 you need to buy!

Dawg
Attached Images

Old Sep 8, 2006, 1:28 AM   #17

Fossil, Go here for a comparison done by ColdSnail. This post by Coldsnail is the one that really convinced me to get the TCON-17 lens! Ya' really need to look at it! LOL

Dawg
Old Sep 8, 2006, 10:15 AM   #18

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Fossil, Go here for a comparison done by ColdSnail. This post by Coldsnail is the one that really convinced me to get the TCON-17 lens! Ya' really need to look at it! LOL

Dawg
I would like to see that Dawg, but you must be as old as me.

You forgot to include the link.

I'd like to have a nickel for every time I've done that.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:26 AM   #19

shooting_rubber wrote:
Quote:
Flying Fossil wrote:

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a tcon? Who makes it. Where does one go for information on it.

Thank you
A TCON is a teleconverter. A teleconverter gives you more zoom dependind on which one you get. To use a teleconverter on the P712 you need the Kodak Lens Adapter for The p850,p712. The most popular teleconverter(TCON)is the Olympus TCON 17..... You can buy both the Lens Adapter and the olympus tcon17 from http://www.bhphotovideo.comand they are a reliable dealer.

The Olympus TCON 17 is 55mm and 1.7X Magnification. The regular P712 is 36mm to 432mm with a 35mm equivalent. With the TCON it will give you: 734.4 mm, which is a lot with a 35mm eqivalent.

There are also other ones like the Kodak 1.4X Teleconverter. The Olympus TCON 17 is more popular in this forum, but I've never actually used it. With the Kodak 1.4X TCON it will give you: 604.8mm, which is quite a ways back from the Olympus TCON. Don't get me wrong the Kodak TCON is great, it's just that the Olympus will give you more zoom.

The TCON works great for me with moon photography and a little bit of digital zoom. It also works great for sporting events for example Football. I photograph that all the time.:-) You can go here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18tosee some night football shots, taken at ISO 250-400. Or you can go here to see some day football shots: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18. All taken with the Olympus Tcon 17, of course:-).

Last thing, there is some vingetting until you get to 4-6X Optical Zoom. This happens with all TCON's.

Your best bet would probably be the Olympus TCON, just because it has more magnification and it's cheaper:-)...

LOL

Tell me if this helps?

shooting_rubber.
OK I am about to order the lense adapter and the tcon 1.7.

I assume that my lense cap will not fit the tcon and also can you tell me what the formula is for calculating the maximum zoom of 734 is.

What would be the totat with 12x optical + 5x digital with the tcon 1.7?

Thanks for the help and the information.

Foss
Old Sep 8, 2006, 2:59 PM   #20

Flying Fossil wrote:
Quote:
OK I am about to order the lense adapter and the tcon 1.7.

I assume that my lense cap will not fit the tcon and also can you tell me what the formula is for calculating the maximum zoom of 734 is.

What would be the totat with 12x optical + 5x digital with the tcon 1.7?

Thanks for the help and the information.

Foss
Hello,

With the 12X Built in Zoom and the 5X Digital Zoom and the TCON 17 it would be a lot. Here is the calculation: 432mm multiplied by 5=2160mm. Then you would add on the TCON 17 which is 2160mm multiplied by 1.7=3672mm.

LOLOLOLOLOL...... Thats a lot of zoom. 3672mm would be the total focal length with the TCON 17......

tell me if this helps???

shooting_rubber.

P.S. The TCON 17 comes with a case and a lens cover for itself.......... You can also use the lens adapter with the Lens Cap the P712 came with..........

shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote