Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 6, 2006, 3:16 PM   #1

I am considering the P880 but have a final question or two regarding the item.

A local pawn shop has one that also exhibits a low "grinding or whirring" sound/vibration from within the unit. This sound/vibration is almost inaudible - undetectible but does exist. And, the sound/vibration only occurs when the camera is turned on (of course) and when the camera is physically moved from one position/direction to another.

This leads me to suspect the problem is caused by the auto focus mechanism within ?

Is this a problem existant to this single item in the pawn shop and not something to be experienced in a normally functioning camera ? I presume it is, but would certainly feel much more at ease hearing it from other P880 owners prior to my spending several hundred dollars on a new P880.

Another question I have concerns the camera's ability to produce quality videos. I plan on purchasing a minimum of a 1gb memory card to enable the recording of a lengthy video. Has anyone else used the camera for this purpose and how pleased are you with the resultant images ?

Also, just how bad is the background sound from the auto-focus when recording a video segment ? I understand the auto-focus can be turned off when recording a video which should prevent the annoying background noise in the video ... is this correct ?

I've done extensive research on-line and can't find anything / anyone who is critical of the camera. Do youhave any criticisms to the camera overall ?

Thanks !

Logit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2006, 4:29 PM   #2

Logit wrote:
Quote:
This leads me to suspect the problem is caused by the auto focus mechanism within ?

Correct, but it's a feature and not a problem. :-)

The camera defaults to continuous auto-focus. You can, and most probably do, permanently change to single auto-focus.

May I ask how much the pawn guy is asking for it? I ask because that camera has been out a while andthe price is dropping.

domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 4:49 PM   #3

$280.00 .

Thanks for your reply of switching to single auto-focus. It would ' bug ' me to no end if I purchased the camera and found that it made that vibration / noise continuously and I couldn't stop it.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:15 PM   #4

I have just reviewed another website with user reviews of the P880. One owner was very condemning of the camera auto-focus mode in that it cannot be overridden or turned off in all modes - only some of the modes.

Can any current owner please advise concerning this problem / feature ?

Thanks !

Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:17 PM   #5

Yeah, I have the same with my Z650 and I went to single auto-focus. Saves the battery too.

$280USD is about $60 less than the lowest price online. If the pawn shop will take it back if it's faulty then that sounds pretty good.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:18 PM   #6

Logit wrote:
Quote:
I have just reviewed another website with user reviews of the P880. One owner was very condemning of the camera auto-focus mode in that it cannot be overridden or turned off in all modes - only some of the modes.

Can any current owner please advise concerning this problem / feature ?

Thanks !

That's a separate issue that refers to auto versus manual focus.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:55 PM   #7

All of the full-auto modes default to continuous AF. This means, Auto, Macro mode, and all the scene presets (fireworks, beach, etc.).

Once you move into the manual/assisted controls, which I use 99.9% of the time, you have single AF or full manual focus if you wish.

A few other limitations you may want to know...
You can't use any digital zoom when shooting with the RAW file type... i found this to be a bit of a nuisance because I will often use 1.4x digi zoom.
Also, RAW can only be shot at the full 8mp.
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 5:48 PM   #8

Logit wrote:
Quote:

Another question I have concerns the camera's ability to produce quality videos. I plan on purchasing a minimum of a 1gb memory card to enable the recording of a lengthy video. Has anyone else used the camera for this purpose and how pleased are you with the resultant images ?

Also, just how bad is the background sound from the auto-focus when recording a video segment ? I understand the auto-focus can be turned off when recording a video which should prevent the annoying background noise in the video ... is this correct ?

Overall, so far, I think the camera's great. I like the job the auto white balance does most of the time, especially compared to previous cameras I' ve had. I like having all the buttons for direct access to many of the controllable features (as opposed to needing to go through a menu.)

I have not had much success with the manual focus, especially in moderate to low light. Autofocus is slow in low light.

One benefit to that continuous autofocus feature is that when you are in those low-light, slow-focus situations, it takes less time for the final focus because it's already in the ballpark (or so it seems.) (But I have it turned off for all but the "auto" mode, where I like having it "on".)

The 640x480 video mode is good, buy not great. There seem to be some issues (in my video) in the sampling, such that diagonal lines appear fairly blocky. The 320x240 mode is decent, and uses a lot less space. The autofocus noise is not noticable relative to the sound levels in the videos I've recorded. In the 640x480 mode my 1GB SD card seems to keep up fine, even though it's not a particularly fast one.
target is offline   Reply With Quote