Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 11, 2006, 3:38 PM   #11

These are good shots, FF, and truth be known we all throw out half our shots:roll:.
Thank the lord we're not buying film!!
And I'm sure the next game you'll have a better percentage.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:12 PM   #12

Flying Fossil wrote:
Quote:
I deleted about 30 of them. Some I missed the subject completely. Some, I don't know why I took them. four or five were very blurry, some I composed poorly, i.e. cut off the heads or half of the body in the shot.

I fairness to myself, I took all of them sitting at the half court line on my dead butt in a lawn chair and used the zoom to get me close.

I am sure that If I walked the sidelines and got into some positions to get players coming at me, I would have gotten even more good ones.

I did catch on ball on the camera. No harm, no foul.

Twas a fun day and a lot of opportunities coming up.

Some action photos will obviously not be that great and some will be great.

shooting_rubber.

shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:16 PM   #13

Its difficult, you need practice, nice shots !!
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:39 PM   #14

Greetings Foss,

The shots look pretty good to me. Was the speed of the camera what you expected?

Action shots are hard to get sitting down, as getting good support for the camera might be difficult. Remember, the longer the zoom the greater the chance of blur. The shots also appear a tad over exposed? Did you have the camera on auto or did you set it yourself? Any other adjustments used? Was the day a bright blue sky sunny day or one of those bright days but no distinct blue sky?

Depending on the available light, you can use the over and under options to improve results. I believe there is a bracket feature that will let you take some shots through a range of settings.

Camera takes 5 pictures at intervals of 1/3, 2/3, and 1.0 EV. Determine the best exposure level for your conditions based on your evaluation of 5 pictures (not available in RAW). For using exposure compensation with exposure bracketing. Nice feature in lighting that you are not fully sure about.

You can also do this in a 3 shot mode. Camera takes 3 pictures at intervals of 1/3, 2/3, and 1.0 EV. Determine the best exposure level for your conditions based on your evaluation of 3 pictures. Not available in TIFF. Helps you get the shots you want just using three shots.

Of course, using panning, preposition, and angle of incidence will also improve your results.

Anyway, they look pretty good for only having the camera a short time. Look forward to more.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:40 PM   #15

dan279 wrote:
Quote:
These are good shots, FF, and truth be known we all throw out half our shots:roll:.
Thank the lord we're not buying film!!
And I'm sure the next game you'll have a better percentage.

Dan

Just imagine all the good shots we would've missed trying to conserve film... TG for Digital
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:13 PM   #16

Ronbaird wrote:
Quote:
Greetings Foss,

The shots look pretty good to me. Was the speed of the camera what you expected?

Action shots are hard to get sitting down, as getting good support for the camera might be difficult. Remember, the longer the zoom the greater the chance of blur. The shots also appear a tad over exposed? Did you have the camera on auto or did you set it yourself? Any other adjustments used? Was the day a bright blue sky sunny day or one of those bright days but no distinct blue sky?

Depending on the available light, you can use the over and under options to improve results. I believe there is a bracket feature that will let you take some shots through a range of settings.

Camera takes 5 pictures at intervals of 1/3, 2/3, and 1.0 EV. Determine the best exposure level for your conditions based on your evaluation of 5 pictures (not available in RAW). For using exposure compensation with exposure bracketing. Nice feature in lighting that you are not fully sure about.

You can also do this in a 3 shot mode. Camera takes 3 pictures at intervals of 1/3, 2/3, and 1.0 EV. Determine the best exposure level for your conditions based on your evaluation of 3 pictures. Not available in TIFF. Helps you get the shots you want just using three shots.

Of course, using panning, preposition, and angle of incidence will also improve your results.

Anyway, they look pretty good for only having the camera a short time. Look forward to more.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Thanks for the comments Rod,

I was a little disapointed in the speed of the refresh from shot to shot, but the focus and capture rates seem a definate improvement over the Z7590 that I had previously.

I am a rank beginner when I comes to photography and I know I have a long way to go. I don't understand the full range of the camera and what some of the settings do to improve or distroy a picture.

I have printed out your comments and will do some practicing.

I do enjoy the P712 and think it was a good choice for me. I do believe it will meet and exceed all my requirements.

Like some of the people have stated, film is cheap.

Fire away

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:23 AM   #17

Film is cheap?!?!!? You must have money to burn. I paid $350 Canadian for my Kodak P850. In about 3 months, I would have spent $800 on film/development if I was shooting with a film camera! Sure doesn't sound cheap to me. That $800 was instead used on a Tcon, 6 filters, camera case, 2GB card, extra battery and a whole lot of other stuff.

Film is definatly NOT cheap, at least from my perspective.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:42 AM   #18

Morag2 wrote:
Quote:
Film is cheap?!?!!? You must have money to burn. I paid $350 Canadian for my Kodak P850. In about 3 months, I would have spent $800 on film/development if I was shooting with a film camera! Sure doesn't sound cheap to me. That $800 was instead used on a Tcon, 6 filters, camera case, 2GB card, extra battery and a whole lot of other stuff.

Film is definatly NOT cheap, at least from my perspective.
Oppppps, I think you missed the point here Norag.

Film is extreamly cheap, i.e. I am using a P712 digital camera. hehe

When the first 300+ shots are done, I slip in another memory chip and a fresh battery, then I resume.

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:33 PM   #19

Ooo, I get it, you mean Digital Film is cheap... well in that case, I hear you loud and clear!:lol:
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote