Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 15, 2006, 4:49 AM   #1

Regarding my Kodak Z612 (and other Kodaks, too), when I remove the battery to use the included wall charger, the camera looses date, time and any custom settings EVERY time I recharge the battery.

What was never mentioned in the reviews or Kodak's official data was that when you remove the lithium battery from the camera to recharge it using the included AC wall charger, all of the camera's stored settings data is lost. The camera has 32MB of internal memory, why can't the date and time be stored using a portion of that non-volatile memory? What a bother to have to reset the date and time every time that I recharge the battery. The first time that I recharged the battery I didn't realize this and the date imprints were eight months off since the camera resets to January 1st. Kodak tech support said that I ought to buy the optional dock for $49.95 (they corrected me when I said $50.) to avoid the problem. Since there is such a basic problem Kodak ought to have included the dock with the camera. Like they did with my Fijifilm cameras.
Had I known that it was necessary to spend an additional $50. from the start for the dock I would have bought another brand.
msimon377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:21 PM   #2

That's strange... my Kodak P850 does not have that problem...
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:46 AM   #3

If I remember correctly:

After the initial charge, the chargedbattery must remain in the camera for a period of time (24 hours?) for the settings to "take."

For subsequent battery charges, the camera will retain the settings for several hours without a charged battery or external power source.

domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 2:58 PM   #4

Actually Kodak tech support said that, toobut in my experience, it didn't work. After the first charge (ana all subsequent charges, for that matter), I keep the battery in the camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks for your replies!

Martin

??

msimon377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 6:42 PM   #5

The camera should not be losing its settings.

Suggestion: Make certain you have followed the procedure for an initial charge. If that does not work then call again to tech support, tell them what you have done and request a replacement. Ifyou have problems with thatthen go to the Kodak forum at DPReview and leave a post for Mike O'Brien (Kodak engineer).

"Mike O'Brien - Z612 losing settings" would be a good post title. In the body of the post explain the problem and what you have done. Though you may feel frustrated, Mike is a good guy so a business-like politeness would be in order.

From whatI have read you likely won't need Mike but he is there if you do. And you could do the same with Ron Baird (Kodak bigwig :-)) in this forum but Ron seems to not be able to be as responsive as isMike.

Let us know how you make out with this.

domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:50 AM   #6

Greetings Msimon,

Sorry to see that you were disappointed with the time and date issue. Actually, with most all Kodak cameras, and I suspect others as well, that information is held in place for only a short time with the battery removed. Typically it is for about the time it might take to charge the battery.

Also, to fully charge the small battery in the camera you need to have a charged battery in the camera for one day - 24 hours. If you are taking the battery out and leaving it out for any length of time, the time and date will be lost. The settings for your camera, however, i.e. the PASM modes, should not be losing that information. It will take several weeks for the camera to lose that information without power.

The solution for you might be to get another battery. Have one in the camera and one in the charger. You can then simply swap them out when necessary.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 3:09 PM   #7

Greetings all,

Let me add a bit of clarity to my post. What I meantand should have noted is that most Kodak cameras have a small charge cell internally inthe camera. It charges when a battery is in the camera and it will hold the date and time while you change power cells. When you remove the battery the cell begins to lose power and eventually will lose the date and time.

Thanks for the chance to review.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote