Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 19, 2006, 7:37 PM   #1

need camera to take agility and flyball competition with dogs but can not afford the single lens reflex ... will this camera capture fast action decent enough
minnieusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2006, 8:37 PM   #2

Yeah... assuming you're outdoors with normal daylight conditions it should be adequate if you lock in your focus and shoot in a burst mode. I'm just not certain whether those dogs will have the manual dexterity to handle the camera.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 8:42 PM   #3

very funny ... I reread my post and see were your going ... so what is burst ... so the manual set at 400 or so won't do it
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:38 PM   #4

That camera will allow you to shoot a continuous "burst" of up to 8 photos at a rate of 2 per second, by holding down the shutter. I think you can capture the doggy action at 1/500th of a second, but 1/1000 is better. Again, I'm assuming outdoors with daylight. Indoors, in a big gymnasium or exhibition hall type building... you're gonna need a more able camera and a powerful external flash. I'm sure there will be some differing opinions posted here soon. There's been a lot of discussion on shooting action shots indoors and out on this forum lately.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:07 AM   #5

I only need outdoors ... thanks for info on bursts
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:48 PM   #6

The Z-612 should work very well outside for action photos, especially if you use the burst mode. It does well indoors, but action shots are more difficult and need to be done using the Shutter priority mode. The flash range on the Z-612 is great and if you need more distance you can always use a slave flash. Here is a sample flash photo taken using just the Z-612's built-in flash.

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote