Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:49 PM   #21

I have a powerful ext flash, but what "other lighting equipment" would you suggest for an indoor church wedding?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 8:45 AM   #22

Well, maybe not specifically for the wedding ceremony, but in general you'll want to have a basic hot-light and umbrella reflector setup and a light meter as part of your neo-pro equipment. You may, of course, already have this stuff.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 9:57 AM   #23

Okay, What about b/w the D50 and P880? 6.1mp D-SLR or 8.0mp Prosumer P&S? What are the pros of going with the SLR, and taking a loss in resolution?
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:06 AM   #24

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Okay, What about b/w the D50 and P880? 6.1mp D-SLR or 8.0mp Prosumer P&S? What are the pros of going with the SLR, and taking a loss in resolution?
I can do this one. :-)

Well, with the SLR, you'll get super fast performance. Advanced feattures, and almost no shutter lag. Also better image quality. and good high ISO performance. Probably best up to ISO 1600 for a D50.

But, with the P880, you get ease of use, image quality, 24mm lens, a really good price.

Now, you could look at the Canon rebel XT. 8,mp, really good high ISO performance, fast operation, etc. But, that one is up around $600 or more.

So, if you're on a budget, the P880 is for you. With decent ISO 50-400 performance, (for a small sensor cam.) and, if you need to you can step it up to ISO 800 or 1600. And, those don't look to bad. (But, probably wouldn't work for wedding photography because of the low res. Probably no good for printing.)

Cheers.

-En
En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:16 AM   #25

The budget is certainly there and I think Iwould rather get the 880now, and get a better DSLR in the future, rather than getting a DSLR now and having to buy another one in the future.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:31 AM   #26

Good choice, and good luck. Hope you get some good shots!
Quote:
The budget is certainly there and I think Iwould rather get the 880now, and get a better DSLR in the future, rather than getting a DSLR now and having to buy another one in the future.
En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:47 AM   #27

Every wedding photographer I have talked to (trying to get a job as an assistant to get my foot in the door) has said to always have a backup camera, so I am thinking about buying a 35mm SLR seeing as how you can get them for very little money. Any suggestions in that department. That way I can start building a lens collection for when I get my DSLR. I read that all Canon lenses work with their DSLR's so if I buy 35mm lenses for the SLR then they will work in the future with a Canon DSLR, correct?
Old Sep 22, 2006, 1:19 PM   #28

Inn-

The real thing is that you have to decide how you are going to approach this thing. At some point you are going to have to go to a DSLR camera. You have to decide when that is. $300 to $350 spent on a P-880, just puts you further away from a DSLR.

I started doing weddings over 50 years ago, and it is a demanding photo situation. I don't own the P-880 but I would hazard the guess that it would be pretty hard pressed to compete with a consumer level DSLR.

You might even take a look at the Olympus E-300 which is going quite inexpensively now over on E-Bay.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 2:28 PM   #29

Well said, MT! I have no intention of denigrating the P880, but I would NOT choose it to photograph someone's wedding. A life event like a wedding is much too important to attempt with a prosumer level digital camera. (IMHO)
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 2:49 PM   #30

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Inn-

The real thing is that you have to decide how you are going to approach this thing. At some point you are going to have to go to a DSLR camera. You have to decide when that is. $300 to $350 spent on a P-880, just puts you further away from a DSLR
I can't exchange the p850 for a dslr, because walmart carries no dslr's... so do I exchange it and get the 880 or do I keep the 850, either way... I will continue saving for the dslr...