Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 21, 2006, 12:34 AM   #1

Okay guys, I am upgrading due to the need for more pixels. I am debating between the p880 and p712. I'm not sure which I would find more use in, but I can get both for about the same price. I already have a tcon, wcon (vignetting with p850), and an external flash. I am really looking at doing some wedding photos and submitting pictures for magazines, but I need to know which would do better for me... any input? Do the wcon's still cause vignetting on the p880 like they do on the p850? How much zoom am I really going to lose between the 850 and 880? What about filters, does the 880 have threads on the lens like a real slr?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:07 AM   #2

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Okay guys, I am upgrading due to the need for more pixels. I am debating between the p880 and p712. I'm not sure which I would find more use in, but I can get both for about the same price. I already have a tcon, wcon (vignetting with p850), and an external flash. I am really looking at doing some wedding photos and submitting pictures for magazines, but I need to know which would do better for me... any input? Do the wcon's still cause vignetting on the p880 like they do on the p850? How much zoom am I really going to lose between the 850 and 880? What about filters, does the 880 have threads on the lens like a real slr?
Yes, the P880 has 52mm threads.

As for the wedding and portrait stuff, it should do nice ly for that. If you're doing set up shots. If you're doing real quick and fast shots, it might be a little below average. But, shoud do excellent with portrait's.

Um... you're not gonna need a WCON for your P880. If you get one, there will be some serious vingnette.

You will lose quite a bit of zoom. But, depending on how much you need, you could get the Kodak TCOn, and maybe 1.4x digital zoom would double your zoom on the P880 to 11.6x. :blah:

For magizines... the higher the resolution, the better. So, 8mp should do nicely for that.

If you're looking for low light shots, the P880 will probably win out. Suppose to have fairly low noise across the range.

On the other hand, the P712 is faster, I think. 12x with IS, and fast AF with fast click to capture. (Though a firmware upgrade on the P880 should help with shutter lag and AF.)

so, if you're going to do wildelife, action, portrait's. The P712 should do.

But, if you want to do portrait's, (check out Steve's sample portrait's, they are realy good.) landscapes, macors, and want 8mp and lots of advaned features. (Not to mentione, the best image quality of the P series. And maybe all of the recent Kodak's.)

A firmware upgrade to the P880, will help woth auto exposure, auto focus, and shutter lag. So, it might work better for weddings after the upgrade. You'll have to try both them out, though.

(also, the P712's ISO 64 shots have a good bit of noise. From samples. And A LOT of CA. Might not be so hot for indoor wedding candids. The P880 with its wide angle lens, and an external flash, might work better for that. The zoom ring will also help you get just that right field of view.)

Good luck! Hope this helps!
En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:12 AM   #3

hmmm... I have been reading reviews left and right and I'm really leaning towards the 880 due to higher resolution and the lack of need for HIGH zoom levels... the ~6x should do the trick... I hope... What about IS, will that make a huge difference?
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:16 AM   #4

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
hmmm... I have been reading reviews left and right and I'm really leaning towards the 880 due to higher resolution and the lack of need for HIGH zoom levels... the ~6x should do the trick... I hope... What about IS, will that make a huge difference?
Shouldn't make a huge difference. Unless your going to shoot really low light handheld. At like a wedding. But, that's what a flash/tripod is for. (You're in much luck if the wedding is outside, in the daylight. Your luck bites if its outside at night. :3 )

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ighlight=P+880

Look at the shots from the P880 in that thread. It should give you an idea of how much 5.8x actually is. See if it fits your needs. (I would also recommends trying it! XDD )
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:24 AM   #5

I really think I am gonna go for the p880... I've just got to find the best price now
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:26 AM   #6

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
I really think I am gonna go for the p880... I've just got to find the best price now
Check out beachcamera.com. Good price. Good seller. )Or so it would seem. Authorized Kodak dealer. )
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:36 AM   #7

$339.95 + FREEshipping and they have it in stock! awesome, I will most definately be ordering this when I get home from my honeymoon... Getting married friday, so I really have too much going on right now to order it now.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:41 AM   #8

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
$339.95 + FREEĀ*shipping and they have it in stock! awesome, I will most definately be ordering this when I get home from my honeymoon... Getting married friday, so I really have too much going on right now to order it now.
Oh!!! WOW! GREAT!! ^^ Hope you have a good one! My sister got married may this year. ^^

(Oh yeah, might want to see if you can return your P850 if you like your P880. to get your money back. Also... hmm... South Carolina, eh? We're going dwon to North Carolina on Saturday.. Holden Beach. For a week. Ya live in southern south carolina, or northern near the coast? )
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:06 AM   #9

Yeah... I have already cleared a return of the p850 and I will get my full $317.xx back. I actually live dead center of the state, really close to the capital, Columbia, but will be in Myrtle Beach from 9-22 to 9-26.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 7:13 AM   #10

http://www.costco.com has the P-880 for $299.99. B&H has the P-20 external flash at $110.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote