Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:54 AM   #11

Hi Jim-

Isn't that an interesting twist. Anything less than fine yields a greater degree of sharpness. I would love to hear Ron Baird comment on that element of the discussion. That seems, at least to me, to be contra-logic.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 3:28 PM   #12

"I ahve noticed that on my P880 when shooting under the fine mode i get higher quality enlargements but when shooting snap shop size photos the regular or lower modes seem as nice or better in sharpness."

It does seem weird but I shoot a lot of architectural photos but does seem thaty way, of coarse that is when viewing on my computer I am not sure about printed photos.
JimWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 4:02 PM   #13

Hi Jim-

When I reviewed more of the posted photos, it became very clear that the Z-650, that I believe domang uses, is also very sharp. And seemingly that is the same lens that is used on the Z-612 and P-712, which are not as sharp as the Z-650.

Perhaps it is indeed a matter of pixel density, as domang suggested.

BTW, I have also, through testing, determined that the V-550 is much sharper than the V-570, when hand held.

MT/Sarah

Old Sep 23, 2006, 6:33 PM   #14

The Z650 has a 10X lens w/o IS so I've assumed that lens to be the same as in the DX6490 and DX/Z7590.

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
And seemingly that is the same lens that is used on the Z-612 and P-712...Since

domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 3:32 PM   #15

Greetings Mt Climber,

I can appreciate your interest in sharpness. Personally, I think they can all do a great job.

When you measure anything on any camera against another camera, it is very important that you take the test pictures in the same lighting, at the same settings. I always use a tripod for steady results, especially if I am going to measure sharpness, etc. Always check the camera physically for anything that may be on the lens or in any other way that may detract from your test.

I always use the most common default settings then move on to others. Changes in camera settings will give you differing results. Also, what software is used to review the images to make your comparisons needs to be the same.

Once you have these images, you can then make a meaningful test.

Personally, I find the P Series to offer many options that can enhance my images so I use them often. At the same time I have a V550 in my car and which is often carried to events and parties.

I believe that it really comes down to is the P850 having its initial firmware being designed more for a advanced user expectation than that of the general user. Since the Z cams are oriented more for the general picture taker, their image processing is likely designed for a more generalized audience with sharpening levels characteristically higher. The P cams, with their more feature rich options, are aimed at a more experienced user who is typically seeking a more natural and less "processed" looking image. It seems to me that reviews of the 850 tended to focus more on the general side of things while the 880 reviews were more photography oriented and fared better in reviews than did the 850.

It's interesting that review sites that entertain more high end views are favorable toward the P712, indicating to me that the firmware adjustments made to the P850 and that were likely used in the P712 were successful. I have not yet seen a follow up review of a P850 with its updated firmware, nor have they reviewed an updated P880.

The images created by the P series I have seen and posted in the Kodak forum really show how good the P series are at producing high quality images.

Of course this is conjecture on my part.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 4:04 PM   #16

Thanks a lot, Ron!

Currently I am very happy with my Z-612. It hasgood sharpness, quite like the Z7590. I noticed in the P-712 review done at www.megapixel.net, they only found fault with the P-712 at the full wide angle position. The balace of the zoom range was rated as quite sharp, right out of the camera.

Sarah
Old Sep 26, 2006, 4:13 PM   #17

I think Ron has succinctly nailed it. Pictures from my Z650 will often look sharper than similar pictures from a P850 or P712 though a careful viewing of the latter pictures will reveal as good or greater detail.

Ronbaird wrote:
Quote:

Since the Z cams are oriented more for the general picture taker, their image processing is likely designed for a more generalized audience with sharpening levels characteristically higher. The P cams, with their more feature rich options, are aimed at a more experienced user who is typically seeking a more natural and less "processed" looking image.

domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:46 PM   #18

Thought I'd share some pics from my Kodak P850 to compare. Let me know what you all think.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18
silverm3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:16 PM   #19

Hi silver-

Thanks for the photo samples. Yes those P-850 photos are impressive, as is the attached P-712 photo. I thinlk domang has the correct answer: the P-850, P880, Z-612, and P-712 are capable of capturing greater detail.

Here is a P-712 sample.

Sarah
Attached Images