Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 24, 2006, 9:59 PM   #11

i was just making sure, but do you actually need 20 GB of hard disk space???

shooting_rubber.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 10:06 PM   #12

If you are going to edit video, then 20 gig is like having a floppy disc. I currently have 2 x 200 gig HDDs, 1 dedicated just for my video files. Many of the semi-pros have at least a terrabyte of HDD space. For 1 hr of video at DV/AVI it takes 13 gig, (uncompressed AVI requires 65 gig per hour), not inlcuding the temp space needed while the program works on it. So to be safe, if you have 1 hr of video, then it is best to have 13 x 3 or about 50 gig of free space.

There are alot of things that need to be considered to edit video with NLEs. How your PC is setup is very, very important. NLEs are the most demanding programs on PCs, and push even the latest dual-cores to the limit.

Now since you are wanting to convert *.wmv to *.mov then you are converting a highly compressed format to another highly compressed format. Using Super you should be able to do this with minimal loss in quality. Anytime you edit a compressed video format, you run several risks, two are degradation, and audio/video out of sync. Video is more complex then images, there are what's called GOPs(Group of Pictures), I-Frames, and B-Frames. Then you have the the Fields, Upper, Lower, or Frame based. Screw just one of these up, and the video doesn't look or play right..

Ron
ronpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 10:12 PM   #13

but if i was just converting it for a pocket pc (like 150X300) and 15 frames per second, would it be okay??

shooting_rubber.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 10:19 PM   #14

Yes it should, your files should be relatively small, since they are very compressed. To help with success in this, try to make sure your HDDs are defragged, so that when the program is converting, it has consecutive free space to read and write to.

How large is the file (wmv) you are wanting to convert?

Ron
Old Sep 24, 2006, 11:09 PM   #15

ronpete wrote:
Quote:
Yes it should, your files should be relatively small, since they are very compressed. To help with success in this, try to make sure your HDDs are defragged, so that when the program is converting, it has consecutive free space to read and write to.

How large is the file (wmv) you are wanting to convert?

Ron
they are anywhere from 5Mb to only aroud 40Mb..

shooting_rubber.

Old Sep 24, 2006, 11:55 PM   #16

Those file sizes should be no problem, however when you questioned about needing 20gig, I was concerned that you may only have a 20-40 gig HDD. Super has been used to convert files in the gigabytes, so a 40Mb file should be real fast.

Ron
Old Sep 25, 2006, 7:49 AM   #17

ronpete wrote:
Quote:
Those file sizes should be no problem, however when you questioned about needing 20gig, I was concerned that you may only have a 20-40 gig HDD. Super has been used to convert files in the gigabytes, so a 40Mb file should be real fast.

Ron

thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 4:11 PM   #18

ronpete wrote:
Quote:
Try this one. We recommend it alot on Ulead's forum...

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

It's free, it converts about any format, and fast..

Ron

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about that one. I highly recommend that one. I use it to convert videos so I can watch them on my Creative Zen Vision M.

And, no, it doesn't come with viruses. You should be running a decent AV program anyway. I recommend AVG Free antivirus. Avast is another good free one. They're both recommended by Maximum PC magazine, which has no qualms about bashing a program if is doesn't work as advertised...even their own advertisers.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 6:39 PM   #19

FaciaBrut wrote:
Quote:
Try searching here:

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/

or here:

http://www.sofotex.com/download/Multimedia/Video/

This is the software I use but I have never converted anything to .mov . Why don't you go to the easier .avi format? Try using the free Windows Movie Maker that is part of Windows XP SP2.

http://www.riverpast.com/en/support/...rt/wmv/mov.php
because .avi files are not supported on my mp3 player..................only .mov

shooting_rubber.