Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:39 AM   #1

I screwed up and forgot to send the picture. Pretty dumb alright Anyway this is part of Duluths central hillside. Taken from about six miles away. Lots of zoom. Taken 9/30/06 camera 6490 Andy
Attached Images

andy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2006, 1:33 PM   #2

Andy-

That is a nice photo. You can cut some of the "blue air" between you and the city by using a polarizer. 'Not to worry about leaving out the photo, Andy. A lot of us have done exactly that.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 2:07 PM   #3

You are right Sarah a polorizor might make it better. Speaking of polarizors I have a couple of them that I have had for years and neither one is circular but I tried one on the 6490 and it seems to work fine. So I wonder why they say you need the mors expensive type for digital. Wonder if you have any ideas on that? Andy
Old Oct 1, 2006, 2:35 PM   #4

nice scenic shot, you can see that the zoom has taken its toll but i like the photo!
Red Royalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 8:12 PM   #5

Andy-

Think of a Polarizer as if they were "sunglasses for your lens." They will work on any camera.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:53 AM   #6

On some of the first Digital cameras and maybe on some even today the auto focus and the exposure were controled and set through the lens and the linear polorizers interfered with this process. The circular polorizer was developed to alleviate the problem! With your DX6490 (since it doesn't use the same type process to do these things) Can use either. I tend to buy the circular ones in the event I upgrade to a camera where they can be of use! Suffice it to say either one will work with the Kodak cameras we use today! Hope this helps explain it a little better Andy! I use a Skylight 1-A filter and a polorizer almost all the time unless I'm shooting indoors or using a flash, or shooting low light shots at night!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:37 PM   #7

Thanks for that information Dawg. I have filters around from my many years of using an OM! slr film camera but have had to buy step up and step down rings and reversing rings to adapt to various set ups. Andy