Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 8, 2006, 7:18 PM   #1

This is my first attempt for a moon picture. I have been inspired by all the great moon shots I have seen on this board. Next time I'll have to set up the tripod I just bought. Thanks for looking.

Ann

hockeyrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2006, 7:21 PM   #2

Nice pictures, very sharp !!

Maybe just a little bit overexposed ... But its very good for a first try :-)

Boily

Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 7:33 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I don't know what overexposed means. Could you explain so I could learn what I'm doing wrong? I'm afraid I need to study the more technical aspects of photography. Thanks for helping me out with that.

Ann
Old Oct 8, 2006, 9:17 PM   #4

Ann, shooting the moon is almost like taking a daytime photo! If you use Manual mode you can set the shutterspeed at 1/500 th of a second and the arperture or f/stop around f/5. Over exposure means that either the shutter speed was too slow or the arperture or F/stop was set at too low a number. Either one of those will cause the photo to be over-exposed or you could say too much light was allowed in and caused the photo to be too light! If you find the photo to be too light or bright then you can change the shutter speed to a faster one or the F/ stop to a higher F/stop!

In other words the shutterspeed I gave you was 1/500 but if the photo is too bright or light you can increase the shutter speed to 1/750. If this is still leaving the photo too bright then increase the shutter speed to 1/1000th of a second!

Also to do it a slightly different way...I gave the F/stop at F/5. If this is too bright then change the F/stop to F/5.6 or F/6. If it is still not quite right then increase the F/stop to F/7 or f/8. The higher the F/stop then the darker the moon will be. The faster the shutter speed the darker the moon will be! Conversly the slower the shutter speed and the lower the F/stop or arperture then the brighter the moon will be!

To get the detail of the moons surface and not have all the detail "Blown out" as we say it, then you'll have to darken the photo a little!

Having said all that I must also say that there are no set values to set the camera to! The moon , when there are clouds or sufficient water vapor in the atmospher can require differing settings to shoot it! And it changes from night to night! The settings I gave are a starting point and nothing else. If you Zoom way in on the moon it will be much brighter than if you only zoom in part way! A tripod is not a must have but it will increase your chances of getting a better and clearer photo.

Now armed with these facts go out and shoot and experiment with the settings I gave! But above all have fun!LOLO

Oh yeah...I shoot the moon at ISO 80 most times as this is the lowest ISO available for my DX6490!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:06 PM   #5

Thank you for your reply. Wow... I'm kinda an auto shooting girl so that is Greek to me. I guess that is why I like these forums. You can get constructive criticism to help you out and improve your pictures. I'll print out your reply and if I have time work on the next full moon. Thanks.

Ann
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:38 PM   #6

You are always welcome. If you have any questions post them and I or someone else will be glad to try and answer them, For that is how we learn and get better! I shoot in Auto mode or Program mode for about 80 percent of the time myself. But if you want to really bring out the details of the moon you need to go to Manual mode!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 1:43 AM   #7

Your moon is just fine as it is!

It can always be tweaked a pinch with Brightness/Contrast in Adobe_-_-_-_-_ or whatever editing progtsm you use.

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote