Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 10, 2006, 1:37 PM   #1

So today I went to the camera store and checked out the P880 and Fuji S6000fd. For a variety of reasons, I'm leaning toward the Kodak! The most annoying thing I noticed was how long it takes for the P880 to write the picture and get ready to take the next shot.

I read that there was a software update for the camera, does this fix it? What has your experience been with this one aspect of the camera?

Any other general warnings/encouragements before I put it at the top of my list?

thanks
digraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2006, 3:25 PM   #2

Today, I was out shooting TIFF and yes, the recycle time for TIFF and RAW is quite long, as with most P&S cameras that shoot RAW/TIFF. But for B/S/F Jpeg, I don't have any problem with the write time. I had a P850 and I see no difference in write time after the 1.02 firmware update.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 3:55 PM   #3

I have a P880. And I love it. The write times aren't THAT bad. As long as you don't try to review the picture right after taking it. Or else you'll get a processing message. The shot to shot times are very good for Fine Jpeg's with quickview off.

I haven't done much action shooting with my P880.. but, seems like it would pretty good with something like that. I need to try action, though.

But anyway, as long as you don't try to review your shot RIGHt after its taken, you should be fine. (Or change any major settings during write time.)
Quote:
So today I went to the camera store and checked out the P880 and Fuji S6000fd. For a variety of reasons, I'm leaning toward the Kodak! The most annoying thing I noticed was how long it takes for the P880 to write the picture and get ready to take the next shot.

I read that there was a software update for the camera, does this fix it? What has your experience been with this one aspect of the camera?

Any other general warnings/encouragements before I put it at the top of my list?

thanks
En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 4:11 PM   #4

Let me ask both of you (and anyone else)...

What kind of SD memory card are you using? I read somewhere that if you get a professional/high speed memory card, this becomes less of an issue.

I saw that the standard SD cards are what they call "5x" and that the best ones you can get are "133x"

I'm sure that it's not on the order of 6 times faster, but maybe an improvement?
Old Oct 10, 2006, 4:15 PM   #5

digraph wrote:
Quote:
Let me ask both of you (and anyone else)...

What kind of SD memory card are you using? I read somewhere that if you get a professional/high speed memory card, this becomes less of an issue.

I saw that the standard SD cards are what they call "5x" and that the best ones you can get are "133x"

I'm sure that it's not on the order of 6 times faster, but maybe an improvement?
I just have a normal 1gb sandisk SD card. Nothing special.

I also have a couple of 1gb kingston cards. Both write the same. (Or, as my test's would prove)
Old Oct 10, 2006, 5:37 PM   #6

I have a few different cards... I have some plain jane 256mb cards, a high performance Kodak 512mb card,and two other brand cards (one high speed 1gb, one reg 512mb) and I am going to have to be right there with En, when it comes toFine JPEG's, they all seem to be the same. Supposedly the difference with card speedsis when shooting video, but I don't shoot much video, so I don't have much experience in that department.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:45 PM   #7

I do some video. And, I can say with my Kingston(s) and sandisk card's, the movie mode is very smooth.
Quote:
I have a few different cards... I have some plain jane 256mb cards, a high performance Kodak 512mb card,and two other brand cards (one high speed 1gb, one reg 512mb) and I am going to have to be right there with En, when it comes toFine JPEG's, they all seem to be the same. Supposedly the difference with card speedsis when shooting video, but I don't shoot much video, so I don't have much experience in that department.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:59 PM   #8

I have the P880, and as stated above, the write times can be quite long, if you preview afterwards. Without previewing it is not really out of the norm.

I use a 2gig PNY SD card, and I find it quite nice, while not a high-speed card it does serve my purpose. Space enough for numerous TIFF or RAW, and maybe an occasional movie clip (I use a digital camcorder for those most of the time).

I have found for action shots, it is best to use the drive/burst option. I figure out of a quick 3 shot burst, my odds are better of getting the shot I'm after. One example, I took some shots of my granddaughter jumping on our trampoline. I tried a few times to get a shot of her in mid-air. Not using the burst, I was missing them. The shutter just wouldn't function fast enough. With the burst I got some pretty neat shots...

..Ron
ronpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 8:44 AM   #9

Awesome, thanks for the responses!

:-)
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:19 AM   #10

+The write time is dependent on two things...The format your saving in and the info your saving. If you shoot B&W a lot the write time will improve quite a bit. Don't use Auto review and only review when you really need to! Just a thought!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote