Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:52 AM   #11

Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:08 AM   #12

It will work Red. No doubt there. I've made one simular to it nearly 2 years ago and it worked great till I gave it and the cable to a friend to use. Going to Wolf Camera this morning to get a new cable. I'll probably get the 12" Quantaray as It only cost $6.99.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:56 PM   #13

Got my 40" cable release from Ritz (Wolf equivilant) for $8.99, might as well spend an extra 2 bucks.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 5:25 PM   #14

bigdawg wrote:

Great detail photo's dawg.
I picked up and cut the flat stock and the treaded rod, got nylon 1/4-20 wing nuts
and locknuts, was going to get nylon 1/4" threaded stock but thought I may be a
tad whippy.
My only hang up is the thumb screw adapter between the tripod plate and the camera.
I need to find an option for the 3/4" bar stock. Maybe a hobby shop would have 3/4"
nylon or delrin. Hmmmm.
I'm dead without that piece.
Quote:
No. 2
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:11 PM   #15

I think the total weight so far is about 4.5 oz. even with the steel Nyloc nuts and steel wingnuts. The problem is that to tighten the plates down you'll have to apply so much torque to the wing nuts that nylon ones may strip! Try it and tell the results. You'll also have to drill the attachment hole for the Cable itself with a no. 30 wire gauge bit and then tap it out with a M4 x 0.7 metric tap. This hole will have to be placed specific to your camera. All the dimensions so far have been for my DX6490. Even the tripod mounting hole may need to be moved to fit a P850 or P880...I don't know as I don't have one to measure off of! I bought a 12" cable release from Wolf camera this morning and have just gotten through tapping the mounting hole for it. Have to wait to get home to finish checking the fit! I also am going to check McMaster Carr for a knurled 1/4-20 nut and see what they have. Get back to you later!

Dawg
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:39 PM   #16

I basically used your dimensions as a reference starting point, took a few measurement off of my P712, sort of layed pieces in place and moved forward.
At this point I have the basic unit bread boared together except for the mounting of the release cable and the knurled nut to mount the whole thing to the tripod.

My cable release does not have a threaded end. I has a knurled rotating sleeve over the cable which in turn would mount into something else like a drill stop or ???

I will post some pics tomorrow.

Foss
Old Oct 25, 2006, 7:06 AM   #17

come on dawg patent it and you can be a millionaire
Red Royalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:17 AM   #18

Sorry Red..I don't want to be a millionaire. The wife and I decided a long time ago not to try to be rich. I taught Wing Chun Kung Fu for over twenty years and never charged a dime for lessons. I know a guy in Birmingham Alabama that was charging 150 dollars a lesson. I've had ample oppertunity to make large sums of money and have turned down those oppertunities. Like my lifestyle as is. Too much hassle in that rat race. Plus if you don't have much you don't fear losing what you have. Less complicated that way! The things you want you save for or do without. These ideas will benifit a lot of people with out the where withall to buy one but can make one for themselves. I kinda like giving ideas away for someone else to use. I also like seeing how people modify and change things to suit their Ideas of what it should look like! On the rich thing again...You'll find that happiness comes from having good friends and loving family not from possesions or money in the bank. I hope my friends can use this and help others in the future.

Dawg
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:43 AM   #19

bigdawg wrote:

I'm proud of you dawg. Your wise beyond your years.
Reminds me of when I was a youngster in high school. White wall tires were the rage. I asked dad, why don't you put white walls on the car dad.
His response: "When I'm in the car, I can't see them, When I'm not, I don't care."

The absolute best things in life are free but you have to earn them. Life, Love, and Happiness. None can be purchased.

Your the kind of person I would like as a friend.
Quote:
Sorry Red..I don't want to be a millionaire. The wife and I decided a long time ago not to try to be rich. I taught Wing Chun Kung Fu for over twenty years and never charged a dime for lessons. I know a guy in Birmingham Alabama that was charging 150 dollars a lesson. I've had ample oppertunity to make large sums of money and have turned down those oppertunities. Like my lifestyle as is. Too much hassle in that rat race. Plus if you don't have much you don't fear losing what you have. Less complicated that way! The things you want you save for or do without. These ideas will benifit a lot of people with out the where withall to buy one but can make one for themselves. I kinda like giving ideas away for someone else to use. I also like seeing how people modify and change things to suit their Ideas of what it should look like! On the rich thing again...You'll find that happiness comes from having good friends and loving family not from possesions or money in the bank. I hope my friends can use this and help others in the future.

Dawg
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:50 AM   #20

Thanks for that fossil. I had good examples to follow as a child. My Dad was a preacher , and growing up he followed those rules. The golden rule is my guide. I have never wanted to prosper at anyone elses expense. My dad would let the other fellow have the advantage in a trade and I couldn't understand why he did it that way. Then he told me.. you see by not taking advantage of the other person they were happy with the deal and had a bright spot in their life. I , he said am just happy that I got the item I wanted. This way we are both happy with the trade. I understood!!!! I try to live that way myself.

Dawg