Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:32 AM   #1

Hi to all Kodak's cam users,

I am looking for some urgent tips for indoor shoot of parties & events, I don't have extneral flash (yet), should i take in auto mode or mannual if mannual what will be apeture and flash value, I am using Kodak 6490.

Looking forward for this informtion

thanks

regard

rajiv

indianguy077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2006, 7:32 AM   #2

1/ Anticipate what your subject(s) are doing so you can capture the picture with the least movment in the composition.

2/ Increase your iso a little but taking into consideration the increase in "noise".

3/ Avoid shooting from far away with your telephoto due to the limited range of your flash. The same applies to using wide angle from too far as flash range from left to right may not fill composon thus resulting in dark corners.

4/ Don't drink when driving or photographig your judgment will be impared,

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:39 AM   #3

bill2468 wrote:

Thanks Bill for info, think about that, and i don't drink.

looking more info,,,,

regards

rajiv
Quote:
1/ Anticipate what your subject(s) are doing so you can capture the picture with the least movment in the composition.

2/ Increase your is a little but taking into consideration the increase in "noise".

3/ Avoid shooting fromo far away with your telephoto due to the limited range of your flash. The same applies to using wide angle from to far as flash range from left to right may not fill composon thus resulting in dark corners.

4/ Don't drink when driving or photographig your judgment will be impared,

BiLL

:|
Old Oct 27, 2006, 9:48 AM   #4

I shoot mine in Program mode, Rajiv! That way you can change the ISO and the Exposure compensation. Go for ISO of 200 to 400 and use a white balance for the type of light that is available. Try to get the shots when movement is at a minimum or at least when they or it is moving slow. I don't bother with the Red eye flash setting because it can be removed later in post processing! Go to a room that is simular to the room you'll be shooting in sometime ahead of the actual shoot and take some practise shots. Good luck and happy shooting!

Dawg

PS get that auxilliary flash sometime soon as it will allow you to shoot at a much greater distance and help with the red eye problem.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 4:56 PM   #5
Administrator

Well... I see that this thread has been around since yesterday morning, yet nobody has wanted to respond yet.

So, I'll take a stab at it.

First of all, you're going to want to use your flash.

Could you try to take photos without one? Sure.

Would they be blurry and/or noisy? Probably, because light indoors is much lower to the human eye than it is to a camera's lens.

You don't even need to bother trying manual exposure, aperture priority, etc. If you shoot in plain old Programmed Auto mode, your camera is going to select the largest available aperture (smallest f/stop number) for the amount of optical zoom you're using anyway in low light.

So, the only thing you can do to influence shutter speeds is use a higher ISO speed (if you want correctly exposed images, versus images that are either too dark or too bright).

The shutter speed a camera can use for proper exposure will depend on the lighting, the aperture and the ISO speed.

But, if you increase ISO speed to get faster shutter speeds (so that you don't get as much motion blur), your noise levels will increase, and your shutter speeds still may not be as fast as desired in many indoor conditions without a flash.

So, I'd use the camera's built in flash if you don't have another option, making sure to stay within the camera's flash range as the best compromise.

With most non-DSLR camera models, it's going to be more trouble than it's worth trying to take photos of non-stationary subjects indoors without a flash, and the camera's default settings and Auto Mode are going to be about as good as you'd be able to do using different settings.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 4:59 PM   #6

Jim he posted nearly the same in another thread and some of us answered him there!

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18

Dawg

Old Oct 28, 2006, 6:23 PM   #7
Administrator

Thanks Dawg.

I just merged the two threads, so that the responses are all in the same place now.

Jim C.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 7:07 PM   #8

I appreciate that Jim.

Dawg
Old Oct 30, 2006, 2:09 AM   #9

Thanks a lots to all for give comments,

That shoot programe will held on 31/10/2006 at night, i have 2 days left, today I 'll try the suggestion, i 'll post a qeustion if require.

Thanks a lots

rajiv