Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:48 PM   #1

First off, I just got the P880 a couple of weeks ago and I'm extremely pleased. I was looking for an upgrade from my Kodak DX4350, but I don't have $1000 bucks right now to spend on DSLR. So I cashed in my $300 of Best Buy gift cards that I'vebeen savingand order one online. This camara with the wide angle lens is the next best thing to a DSLR. I just love the control of the manual zoom, focus ring and settings (PASM, ISO, WB ,etc...).

However, I reallyama little bugged :evil:that Kodak didn't allow this camera to shoot at the higher ISOs (800, 1600) with a higher resolution. Maybe at8MP it would've really looked awful, but it seems like they could've allowed to the user make a judgement at say 2-3 MP instead of just 0.8MP.Does anyone know of afirmware hack to override this limitation?

Now, I'm ready to start building my collection of accessories.

For the great indoors, I recently got the P20 flash unit and its's soooooo cooooooooool!!!! It's a must have indoor shooting and I can't wait until Halloween and Christmas to give it a full work out.

NowI need to the stuff for outdoor shooting. First off filters: I was thinking of purchasing the basic Quanatary filters from Ritz (buy 2 get one free). In particular, I'm looking at the UV, Polarizer and Close-up Macro. Are these okay cheapie lens to be use occasionally? Also is okay to just use the 52mm and attach it directly as oppose to getting the lens adapter?

Okay speaking of Lens Adapter...next year I would eventually like to get a TCON. I guess I can't go wrong with the Kodak and I've heard good things about the Olymupus 1.7. How about the cheapo Opteka brand on Ebay (I've seen a 3X)? Also are there any other 52MM TCONs that I could buy (so I can avoid buying the Lens Adapter)?

Thanks

:G

lakerstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2006, 9:47 PM   #2

No. 1...Buy the Kodak 55mm lens adapter and then mount the filters. Why?? because this will alow you to use all the functions of your canera but protect the lens from life's knocks and bumps. It cost so little I cannot fathom why folks just don't buy it and forget about it. The filters you discussed are fine. A lot of Amatuer photographers would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a photo taken through a Hoya filter and a Quantaray one. The 55mm TCONs are larger than the 52mm lens in the P880 so the vignetting is reduced. If you opt for the 52mm size it's like looking at the world through a toilet tissue tube. That's what vignetting is really..you see part of the lens or adapter tube in the photo. Kinda of a tunnel view effect.

Please and hear me PLEASE stay away from any and all Opteka and other off brand lenses. They are so cheap for a reason. Most were originally made for Camcorders and do not give sharp or clear photos on still cameras. Please listen to what I say here!!

On the ISO issue...Most digicams will not dowell above 400 ISO. The noise becomes objectionable at those levels. I shoot most photos at ISO 80 or 100. I do go to 400 and 200 ISO sometimes indoors or in low light shots. I've used ISO 800 a couple of times just to post the results and show how much noise it causes!

Hope some of this helps.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:32 PM   #3

I whole-heartedly agree with EVERYTHING Dawg says and recommends. Especially, DON'T even think of using the cheap non-Kodak TelCon.

Congratulations on choosing the P880... excellent camera.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:51 PM   #4

One thing, Dawg. About the P880 and the adapter, you will get a tube effect with the P880 with the adapter(From what I've seen.). So, its pretty pointless to get the adapter for the P880 for filters. If you want filters, you could just mount on camera with the 52mm thread. Though, I don't know if that will add to the vingenette or not. You could try buying a 52mm-58mm step up ring for filters. On e of the P880 user's here has that setup with a UV filter I believe, seems to work good. I'm thinking of doing that...

Everything else is good, you'll definately need to get the kodak adapter, and the Kodak 1.4x TCON. If you want a TCON.

Regards,

-En
Quote:
INo. 1...Buy the Kodak 55mm lens adapter and then mount the filters. Why?? because this will alow you to use all the functions of your canera but protect the lens from life's knocks and bumps. It cost so little I cannot fathom why folks just don't buy it and forget about it. The filters you discussed are fine. A lot of Amatuer photographers would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a photo taken through a Hoya filter and a Quantaray one. The 55mm TCONs are larger than the 52mm lens in the P880 so the vignetting is reduced. If you opt for the 52mm size it's like looking at the world through a toilet tissue tube. That's what vignetting is really..you see part of the lens or adapter tube in the photo. Kinda of a tunnel view effect.

Please and hear me PLEASE stay away from any and all Opteka and other off brand lenses. They are so cheap for a reason. Most were originally made for Camcorders and do not give sharp or clear photos on still cameras. Please listen to what I say here!!

On the ISO issue...Most digicams will not dowell above 400 ISO. The noise becomes objectionable at those levels. I shoot most photos at ISO 80 or 100. I do go to 400 and 200 ISO sometimes indoors or in low light shots. I've used ISO 800 a couple of times just to post the results and show how much noise it causes!

Hope some of this helps.

Dawg
En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:17 PM   #5

En's right, I do use a 58mm step-up right to allow me to stack two filters before any vignetting... haven't tried 52mm lenses, but I honestly doubt you could put more than one 52mm lens on there without vignette. Only bad thing about the p20 is the lack of PC cord connectivity, therefore you can't mount the flash off the camera, I just use a cheapo zoom, bounce flash to get around this, have to use manual settings though.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:39 AM   #6

I'm really looking forward to my P20.. I tried out a Nikon D80 with a Nikon Sd-600 flash, (I think) and it rocked my cruddy sox. I was amazed at the shots I was getting with a flash. (Bounced, of coure.)
Quote:
En's right, I do use a 58mm step-up right to allow me to stack two filters before any vignetting... haven't tried 52mm lenses, but I honestly doubt you could put more than one 52mm lens on there without vignette. Only bad thing about the p20 is the lack of PC cord connectivity, therefore you can't mount the flash off the camera, I just use a cheapo zoom, bounce flash to get around this, have to use manual settings though.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:39 AM   #7

En that will hapen only with stacked filters. Actually to me...And here this is to me..The added security of the adapter is more important than any small amount of vignetting you might get at the widest angle the camera has. That's why the adapter should always be the first purchase you make. Remember I said to me! My opinion only!

Dawg!
Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:17 AM   #8

Actually dawg... its not just a little vingenette. lol

Check it out. (this is Mt's shot she posted. I hope she doesn't mind. )

I think it might work better with the step up ring solution for filters. XD

Regards,

-En
Quote:
En that will hapen only with stacked filters. Actually to me...And here this is to me..The added security of the adapter is more important than any small amount of vignetting you might get at the widest angle the camera has. That's why the adapter should always be the first purchase you make. Remember I said to me! My opinion only!

Dawg!
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:30 PM   #9

Since I don't know for sure how she shot that I can't really comment on it. I do know that the Lens adapter on most Kodak cameras is designed to wind up about 2-3 mm from the outer portion of the lens when extended and if a 55 mm filter is used mounted to that adapter then there is no vignetting. As I said before I've not used the P880 but cannot see a reason Kodak would have changed that distance or set things up to cause that severe a vignetting problem. That photo looks like a TCON was added and then a photo was taken through the TCON at the widest angle. That will happen with any TCON even on my DX6490. To post it as a shot through the P880 and an adapter tube is not right as it leads to a wrong idea about the Adapter tube. Just my opinion here!

Dawg
Old Oct 28, 2006, 3:35 PM   #10

Ok then. Here is thew quote from MT herself:

"
FB-

The P880 camera is a good camera. However, when you put the adapter on it it looks like this.

MT"

One more quote: "Wide angle photos like the one attached are fun. I like them a lot.

However, as soon as you put that lens [highlight= rgb(136, 255, 136);]adapter on the P-880, you get serious vignetting. Yes, it most probably willwork fine at full zoom with the Tcon. But when you want wide angle shots, that lens adapter has to come off.

MT"

And a link to the thread... http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=P+880+adapter

Also, I'm not sure how the adapter slides on to the lens. It does not seem practical that they would put it OVER the manual zoom and focus rings. That would be pointsless. So, putting on the portion would mean if sticks out 2 or 3mm, or more, the 24mm wide angle--as seen from that picture, gives a result like that. Also, I don't think there is much of a reason to shoot with a telephoto lens at wode angle. Kinda defeates the purpose of shooting with a 24mm wide angle. I don't think MT had any reason to post a shot shooting through a TCON. and she even said that that is what it looks like through the adapter. Just my $0.02.

Regards,

-En
Quote:
Since I don't know for sure how she shot that I can't really comment on it. I do know that the Lens adapter on most Kodak cameras is designed to wind up about 2-3 mm from the outer portion of the lens when extended and if a 55 mm filter is used mounted to that adapter then there is no vignetting. As I said before I've not used the P880 but cannot see a reason Kodak would have changed that distance or set things up to cause that severe a vignetting problem. That photo looks like a TCON was added and then a photo was taken through the TCON at the widest angle. That will happen with any TCON even on my DX6490. To post it as a shot through the P880 and an adapter tube is not right as it leads to a wrong idea about the Adapter tube. Just my opinion here!

Dawg