Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:32 PM   #1

Hi folks:

I trust this site for all reviews, etc. before making a decision on which camera to buy. Anyway, I bought a Kodak P880 today after managing to sell my trustworthy Canon A95 camera, heard too many bad things about the Canon E18 error and got scared of holding on to mine so made the decision of letting it go.

Anyway, I'm pretty impressed so far with the 880 (however, still kinda miss the flip-open screen on the A95 making hard to shoot shots really easy.

Questions about the P880 are:

- I'm assuming thatthe flash on the P880 doesn't "pop-up" like its pre-decessor P850, just wanted some confirmation;

- I find that I always have to manually change the flash mode to "Redeye". I wish the camera would just retain that setting. Same thing with the "File Type" setting where I'd like it to be Fine (F) for good, however, it keeps changing with every power on/ off;

- The "QuickView" setting seems to have only an ON and an OFF setting. I would've liked to be able to change the default value from 5 seconds... anyone know if this is possible?

- Heard about all this hype with the RAW format and what not. I, however, haven't been able to change the format. I frankly don't even know where to find the option. I thought it would be under "File Type" but that only shows the standard, fine, etc. options.

I'd really appreciate if someone could help out a noob just getting in the whole SLR-like game...

Thanx& peace!
Robin
djrobinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:59 PM   #2

First things first, you can't change a lot of things in AUTO mode. If you go to 'P' mode, the camera still sets the Aperture and Shutter speed, but the ISO, File Type (Jpeg F, Jpeg S, Jpeg B, Raw, Tiff), Exposure Compensation, are now changable. And in PASM + C1, C2, C3 modes, the camera does save your changes to File Type. And no, the flash does not automatically pop up like the P850, you must manually open and close it.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 11:25 PM   #3

Thanx a ton inneyeseakay... appreciate the prompt reply...

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
First things first, you can't change a lot of things in AUTO mode. If you go to 'P' mode, the camera still sets the Aperture and Shutter speed, but the ISO, File Type (Jpeg F, Jpeg S, Jpeg B, Raw, Tiff), Exposure Compensation, are now changable. And in PASM + C1, C2, C3 modes, the camera does save your changes to File Type. And no, the flash does not automatically pop up like the P850, you must manually open and close it.
djrobinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:19 AM   #4

The most use a flash gets is not neccessarily for portraits and if the camera was set to a default RedEye setting a lot of other folks that use the flash as a fill flash or to capture sports would be unhappy with the dual flash of the redeye setting as it would tend to drain the battery quicker in that mode! Kind of a catch 22 problem here. Some want the redeye as a default and some don't. I imagine that Kodak did a little bit of research to find which to make the default setting! For me I a;most never use the redeye setting and almost never use a flash! I have never understood why anyone would want a flash to pop up when you turn a camera on or when the light level gets low! I can do that for myself. Just like the redeye option. I push a button and there it is! Any easier sometimes gets to be a problem and can interfere with my taking a photo!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote