Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:35 AM   #1

Hi all, been a while since I posted......
Re the Kodak P850,
I am on the verge of swinging this piece of crap around my head, and smashing it to pieces.

I'm NO WAY near to understanding all the aspects of digi photography, but god, this camera is BAD.

Why oh why will it NOT focus, on anything, almost 90% of the time???
I just wanted to take a fairly close up pic of something for eBay, and the P850, no matter much I tried, and what settings I used, just would not focus.

My little Casio, 1st time, 1st attempt, excellent pic.

Now how difficult is that?
Just a simple shot, and once again, the P850 won't do it.

I cannot learn photography with this piece of kit, so it is now on eBay too.

Sorry to rant at you guys, but nobody else listens lol!!!!
andy_fozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:35 AM   #2

I'm like you Andy..If it don't work TOSS IT!!! LOL I've seen some amazing shots with the P850 but if yours doesn't work the way you want Toss it! I would in a heart beat. I've been sooo happy with my DX6490 that it will have a place in my heart forever and a place in my camera storage bin till I die. But if I owned a camera that did not work for me I'd..You guessed it TOSS IT!! LOL No hard feelings here..Ive seen some posts from folks with P850's that told me they just were not willing to learn their camera so they could get decent photos...I don't think that is the case with you and I don't mind if you rant...Heck if I'd spent that much on a camera and couldn't get good shots I'd be upset. I've used a friends P850 and his performed as good if not better in some aspects as my DX. But you can get a lemon in any product these days! If you feel yours is a lemon then do what I would do sell it to the first person willing to pay my price. Nuff sed....

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:39 AM   #3

You are a good guy dawg.
I'm very upset about it actually, and I have def decided to sell it, and cut my losses.

I was stupid to think that this camera would do what I wanted it to do, so I am gonna have to go for a (cheap!!!!) DSLR like I should have in the first place.

Maybe the Canon 400D, hmmmmm....!!!!

I like this forum, and I'll be sticking around!!!!

Thanks mate,

Andy
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:07 PM   #4

Thanks Andy...I'm going the DSLR route myself soon. I've already bought 6 lenses to go with the soon to be released K10D from Pentax. My DX6490 just doesn't do all I want. It does some things very well but can be limiting. As to the P850 and it's problems. There have been a mixed lot of owners with this camera. One of the people I most admire for their Skill and knowledge with any camera,A brit like yourself called Cold Snail...Just can't get very good shots with his P850. He does post some photos with it but he is not thrilled over it! On the other hand Boil and others here have posted some very fine photos with theirs. You cannot compare your camera really with anyone elses. It may not do the job as wel because of many different reasons. I hate it when anyone gets up tight because someone else is having a problem with the camera BRAND or MODEL that they happen to own. Two cameras produced with consecutive serial No.'s may not be equal. That's just the way things happen in a manufacturing enviroment. Many variables go into that! So when someone honestly can't get their camera to perform in the same manner as the one you own, that is no reason to assume right off the bat that they just don't like a certain brand. The camera may not be a good one. Fact not fiction. Hope you get a better one the next time and please continue to post some here. We'd miss you for sure!

Dawg
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:08 PM   #5

One thing you might want to do is upgrade the firmware on the camera if you haven't already done it. I got really frustrated at my P850 but found the update and did it and it fixed the problem I was having which is very similar to the problem you are (where) having.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi...l?pq-path=7548

There is the link if you want to try it out.
Zeustopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 8:58 AM   #6

I had the same problem with the 850. I could get the closeup in 10 seconds with A610 or Pany FZ30 but it would take me 10 minutes to get the 850 focused. I had the upgrade installed. Sold it 4 months later.

Just got a 880 for a steal and it`s a much better camera.
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 3:17 PM   #7

Cheers Dawg.

I think I am really going to have to go down the DSLR road eventually. I'm just thinking of making it sooner rather than later, while the P850 is still worth a few £££, and before I start wast... I mean spending more money on it.

Big thanks to Zeus for the link. I didn't even know there was an upgrade!!

But guess what? Done the firmware upgrade, camera says all successful etc, turned camera off, then on, went to take a pic in auto mode, and surprise surprise, a red AF light...........

*sigh*

Old Nov 16, 2006, 5:59 PM   #8

looking at your closeup shot and a red light autofucus prob, were you taking it in macro mode?
Red Royalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:37 AM   #9

Hi Red, yes it was in Macro mode.

Tried several times, before losing my patience!!!!!!

Red Royalty wrote:
Quote:
looking at your closeup shot and a red light autofucus prob, were you taking it in macro mode?
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:52 PM   #10

Like I said Andy..Which ever way you go I hope things work out for you! And don't forget to post one for the Dawg if you get a new camera!

Dawg