Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:58 AM   #1

I'm interested in the z612 after having read Steve's review where it states
"Its zoom mechanism is smooth and precise, and the zoom control is a variable switch. Pressing it hard zooms quickly, pressing it softer will move the lens in smaller increments, I counted 16 steps when zooming fast and about 28 steps when going slower."

I have read elsewhere that it does not. My suspicion is that it may be an error (cut and paste from a different camera review).

Can anyone confirm? Thanks in advance.

Edit: (Dec 12/2006)
:looks like the text I quoted has been removed from the article (thus confirming my suspicion that it was an error).
amac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:49 AM   #2

amac-

I just reached for my Kodak Z-612 and after zooming through the full range several times, I would guess, based on a hands on evaluation, that it is a singular speed zoom rather than a truly variable speed zoom. At least,I cannot detect any variability in the zoom speed.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:38 PM   #3

Thanks.

I suppose I should have asked, if it's not variable, is it smooth enough oto easily frame a picture or is it twitchy? I think I'll trot down to the store (which I probably should have done anyway) and try it out. Everyone has different hands and what may feel right to one will be chaos to another.

I'll post back shortly!
Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:52 PM   #4

amac-

I really like the Kodak Z-612 a lot, but I would honestly define the zoom control as a bit of the twitchy side. Give it a try and see what yopu think, please.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 4:57 PM   #5

Well I went down to the store only to find out their super-zoom compact cameras all had dead batteries and they couldn't recharge one for me on demand. Probably Christmas shopper syndrome (everyone is playing with every button of every device in the store).

O.K., perhaps I should shop at a better store than a discount electronics store. I'll try my luck again tomorrow and update this message then ...
Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:08 PM   #6

I just picked up a Z612 on speculation, and I love the camera! It takes better pics, & video, then my 7630, or 7440, But the zoom is speedy,maybe too much so, and not really adjustable., But it's hard to find any other faults with this camera.
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:43 PM   #7

Well I went down to the store and tried out the z612. I found the zoom button far too quick. There is only one speed, no matter how lightly I touched. I will have to pass on that camera.

I'm now looking at a P850 refurb. Lower pixel count but it seems to have lots of useful features (including a 2 speed zoom). A firmware upgrade seems to really improve its performance too.

Unfortunately it's mail order so I can't get a touchy-feely on it. I'm now reading the forum info here prior to jumping for it.