Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 7, 2006, 8:44 PM   #1

Well folks, I have had the camera for about 3 months now and still like it's features and ease of use however, I am starting to notice a couple of things that may have been there all along and as I get more and more comfortable with the camera I am
just starting to notice.

1) Indoor shots with standard flash are a tad futile.
2) Focus brackets were centered and greeen indicating that subject was in focus.
Picture sure looks blurred to me.
3) When I pressed the shutter button, the view finder would go blank, and approx.
2-3 seconds later the flash would fire.

Is my battery toast? This is the 10th shot on a fresh charge.
Could there be an issue with my memory card SD 1gb?

Any ideas???

Example 1.
Attached Images

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:19 PM   #2

Flying Fossilhi mate

what zoom was that at ?

i ask because my 712 in low light seems to be a bit hit and miss !!

i think its just the way they are , my z7590 was just the same.

well at long zoom anyway. but in the reviews it states that long range zoom focus is a bit hit and miss so may be thats how they are ?

regards bob.

bomber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:39 AM   #3

Thanks for the input Bob.
Here are the photo details

Res: 3072x2304
Built in auto flash
31.6mm focal length
1/750 shutter speed
F/3.5
ISO 200

I have heard in other discussions that the Kodaks are a little weak at 200 ISO and above, and also that digital camera's in general are not ideal for indoor low light photography.

Another issue that concearns me is that in several of these shots, I would push the shutter and the lag time until the flash fired was like 2-3 seconds.
This is "after" the camera has focused according to my view finder as I see the green
brackets on the subject.

Are the newer, faster memory cards any improvement?

Perhaps I should send the camera in to Kodak for there review of everything.

Jim
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:56 AM   #4

HI JIM

I HAVE NEVER HAD FLASH DELAY THAT LONG? YES I HAVE!!

IT COULD BE A LOW BATTERY OR CAMERA HAVING TO RECHARGE FLASH BETWEEN SHOTS?

THAT CAN TAKE 2/3 SECS.

USING THE FLASH AT HIGHER ISOS WILL GIVE A POOR SHOT AS SOME OF THE REVIEWS SAY ?

I DONT KNOW REALLY MAY BE SOME ONE ELSE CAN IMPUT ?

IT ALL SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD BE FAIRLY NORMAL FOR THIS SORT OF CAMERA,

SORT OF GOOD AT MOST THINGS BUT SHINES IN NONE!!

REGARDS BOB.

bomber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:02 PM   #5

At anywhere beyond 1/4 to 1/2 zoom range the focus in low light is hit or miss. A cure is a small flashlight to illuminate the subject enough to get the focus lock....not always possible. Also with that kind of zoom the Arperture wil go up causing the photo to be under-exposed. Being as the flash is used and you have the camera in program or auto mode the F/Stop will change to reflect the extra light from the flash and can sometimes cause an under-exposed photo. You can brighten up the exposure durring capture by changing the exposure compensation. Can make a big difference. Anything over 200 ISO is going to be grainy (noisy). Just the way it is with these cameras. Most times you'll see that the shutterspeed is way down and the camera takes a lot of time to process that longer period with the shutter open. Also it does take some time for the flash to re-energize for another shot. Another thing that has come up before is the failure to reformat the card. If you just delete and don't re-format the card it will load up with files and tend to slow down the processor! Just a few things to check....Oh yeah..be sure your hands are clear of the front of the camera while shooting.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:05 PM   #6

Just a thought...If you shoot a second shot too soon the flash will not be bright enough to give good exposure!

Dawg

Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:16 PM   #7

Hi Jim.
from looking at the photo it looks like the camera focused in the lower left of the frame, at the girl in the red dress. it seems to be clearer in that area than in the center of the take. if the camera was set in the multi zone capture you might try going to the center spot zone.
Just a thought
AY
aytheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:58 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies folks.

I was about 50-60 feet from the front part of the group. I was actually focusing on the girl in the center, my 10 year old grandaughter.

Fortunately, I don't take a lot of pictures under these conditions. I had just forgotten
some of the major limitations of the camera. Kind of like asking a little Dodge D50 to do the work of a new Ford or Chevy heavy duty 4x4.

Most of my shots (about 95%) are in daylight under pretty good conditions and this camera works very well for me then.

One of my questions went unanswered. Is there any benefit it the Ultra II or III SD memory cards?

Thanks again for the responses.

Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:41 AM   #9

Jim, the FF-

I would say it was the battery. Buy a spare battery over on e-bay, They are not expensive, and swap batteries about every 3 to 4 days. I think that will solve your problem. Please also realize that3 separate thingswere occurring when you were a full50 to 60 feet away and using only the camera's built-in flash.

(1) As you zoom out toward the max zoom, your aperture will graduall DECREASE. that is why you go a blue cast to the photo as welll as under exposure.

(2) The P-712 has a tough time focusing in low light level conditions. Help it along by using either the center weighted or spot AF.

(3) This was really a situation where the Kodak P-20 external flash and a higher ISO setting was required, and would have worked perfectly because you were well beyond the normal flash range of the P-712's built-in flash which is between 10-14 feet. For flash shots at a distance the P-20 is the perfect answer because it is fully TTL capable. The P-20 works wonderfully, and it is unfortunate that more folks don't make use of it, in situations such as yours.

The camera was really not at fault. You just needed a few more tools and tweaks, Jim! But that is the fun of learning, sharing, and why the Kodak Forum is so valuable..

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:59 AM   #10

Flying Fossil wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies folks.

I was about 50-60 feet from the front part of the group. I was actually focusing on the girl in the center, my 10 year old grandaughter.

Fortunately, I don't take a lot of pictures under these conditions. I had just forgotten
some of the major limitations of the camera. Kind of like asking a little Dodge D50 to do the work of a new Ford or Chevy heavy duty 4x4.

Most of my shots (about 95%) are in daylight under pretty good conditions and this camera works very well for me then.

One of my questions went unanswered. Is there any benefit it the Ultra II or III SD memory cards?

Thanks again for the responses.

I know with my DX6490 there is no difference between the cards. There may be a better usage of that faster medium with the P712...But I don't think it will be enough difference to be noticeable! Others may have a better Idea.

Dawg