Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 17, 2006, 11:59 PM   #1

iso 800, shutter 1/16, one handed, no flash, brightened up a bit in Picasa by using "Fill Light"

Of course it is not great by any stretch, but the iso 800 is usable...
Attached Images

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2006, 2:08 AM   #2

Oh ISO 800, but why need to turn to 800...???

Thanks

indianguy077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:11 AM   #3

I used ISO 800 because the cat was moving a bit, my hand was probably moving a bit (I shot one-handed with my arm extended about half-way) and the light was pretty low. The room was less well-lit than what you see in the picture. The original photo was still fairly dark - I believe EV -1.7 - any other setting would have resulted in very noticeable blur.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:28 PM   #4

Hi flippedgazelle,

I am going to buy a new camera with MPEG4 compression video. C875 is one of the models that I am considering. I hope you can help me to decide by sharing your experience with C875.

What comments do you have for C875?

For setting at 640x480 30 frs, how many minutes of video can stored in 1Gb card?

Hope to hear from you.

MYJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:16 PM   #5

Hi Julie,

I have had the C875 for 4 days now, and have taken around 100 photos. My previous camera was a Canon A620, which I enjoyed very much. Here are my C875-related thoughts so far:

1. The C875 seems to be about 25% smaller and 33% lighter than the A620. The build quality is not bad, but not as good as the Canon.

2. The colors from the C875 are very rich. Maybe not perfectly accurate, but definitely pleasing.

3. The lens seems pretty sharp from edge to edge.

4. The flash is not very powerful. It is also not very harsh, so to me photos taken with the flash look a little better than with the Canon A620.

5. Picture quality starts degrading at ISO 200. However, ISO 800 is definitely usable, although somewhat blotchy and lacking in detail. I don't know if any compact cameras outside of the Fuji F20/F30/F31fd do ISO 800 better.

6. The LCD is not very good. The resolution is somewhat low, and, while using it as a viewfinder,the colors aretoo hot. When looking at the LCD in photo review mode, thecolors look too "cool".

7. I don't really use the video mode, as that is not why I buya digitalcamera. I took a 10 second clip and it seemed OK. Too much artifacting in low-light for my taste, and the sound is weak.The videoplayed back smoothly @ 640x480 and I was able to zoom.

8. Shot-to-shot times vary a lot; sometimes it was quick, and sometimes it took 4-5 seconds. My A620 was definitely faster. Shutter lag has not been an issue.

9. Battery life ispoor, only around 50 photos with 2 good 2000mah rechargeables. I'm sure 2500mah would be better.

10. There are a bunch of "scene modes", and also the C875 does better in Auto than the Canon A620 did, imo. It is a very easy camera to use.

The reason I bought the Kodak C875 is that I am getting a Fuji S6000fd for Christmas, and wanted to complement it with a smaller camera - the Canon A620 was a little too large. I sold my A620 on Ebay, and that sale more than paid for the Kodak C875, which came with a free 512mb SD card. If not for the Kodak's better high-ISO performance, I would rate the Canon A620 a slightly better camera. However, other than the poor battery life, I am quite pleased with the C875. On a scale of 1 (worst) to 5 (best), I would rate it a 4.

Chris

Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:41 AM   #6

Thanks, Chris. You have provided very useful comments on C875.

I will drop in the camera shop to have a 'feel' of C875 before I make up my mind.

Have a nice day.
MYJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:24 AM   #7

flippedgazelle wrote:
Quote:
I used ISO 800 because the cat was moving a bit, my hand was probably moving a bit (I shot one-handed with my arm extended about half-way) and the light was pretty low. The room was less well-lit than what you see in the picture. The original photo was still fairly dark - I believe EV -1.7 - any other setting would have resulted in very noticeable blur.
Thanks Flippedgazelle for this test shot, you was right. I'll also try to take in same settings for test shot, hope it works for me in future.

regards

indianguy077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:51 AM   #8

Beautiful cat. What's his/her name? We used to have a siamese but she was a different kind. She didn't have the crossed eyes and the short face. She was also fat. LoL..and very snotty. She used to wind herself between your feet if you were in the kitchen and bite your leg if you didnt feed her or pay attention..then she'd get mad when she got stepped on.

Dani
afdani1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:00 PM   #9

Hi Dani,

My mom's cat is named Thai Too - his predecessor was just Thai. Like the Siamese you had, Thai can be very snotty, and he isn't afraid to bite. He can also be extremely sweet and snuggly. I'm glad you like him!

Chris
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:48 PM   #10

Hey, I have a few questions about my newly purchased C875. The pictures I take seem completely flushed by the camera flash- primarily for indoor pictures. We've tried taking pictures under the various settings, but the only one that comes close to the pictures we've used with our original camera are taken under the "candlelight" setting, with the flash on. We're really not sure if we're doing something wrong, or if we've possibly picked up a defective camera. The flash is just too bright. Any ideas on what's going on, or what settings I should put my camera on for the Custom mode?

Thanks!

-Doc
Doc Martin is offline   Reply With Quote