Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:25 PM   #1

I race nitro R/C cars and often take pictures for my local track outside New Orleans. These things are kinda small and move at near 30 mph on some parts of the track.

The first two were taken by me in "sports" mode using burst to capture the cars coming over a jump, they seem really out of focus compared to the next two pics, which were taken by someone else with an unknown camera. Can I achieve the same results with my camera using different focus? Settings? Tips? Help?

LSUsportsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:17 PM   #2

Hi Lsu, ok first go here and download the free iexif viewer prog...it will let you look at other photos and see what settings were used and help you to see the difference settings make http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html

According to the exif data the "unknown camera" was a Canon rebel xt...Don't try to compare your shots with shots from a dslr, you'll lose most every time
Your 2 shots were taken at 1/640, iso 125, f3.2 and f4.5 for the second
The Canon's= 1/1250, iso 400, f6.3....1/1000, iso 400, f5.6
try manual mode with a 1/1000 shutter and depending on daylight use the smallest aperture that will work that day. Knowing Kodaks, iso 400 will look like dog.... but I'd try 200 or lower...experiment before the action starts
Another thing...try using burst mode-chances of getting a keeper improves and you'll get a few different positions as well

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:23 PM   #3

Thanks a bunch... I'll try it out at our next race.:G
Old Dec 20, 2006, 8:23 PM   #4

Dan is right...you need to use a faster shutter speed and higher ISO. You can get some decent shots at ISO 400 in day light.. Lower light levels will give you some noise. Just let the F/stop set itself by using shutter priority mode!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 9:22 AM   #5

Also try this: if the light is good, try shooting in Manual mode, ISO 200, 1/500-1/1000 @ f/8. f/8 will give you a deeper depth of field and may help your focus probs.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:15 PM   #6

Appreciate the tips!!
Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:40 PM   #7

dan279 wrote:
Quote:
Don't try to compare your shots with shots from a dslr, you'll lose most every time
Had I read that before buying the p880, I think I would've just tried saving for the dSLR. For action shots or low-light shots, I'd definately have to agree, but as for portraits or still life, I think you can get just as good shots out of a advanced P&S as with a dSLR. Having used both, I would say that having a usable ISO400, ISO800, and ISO1600 make all the difference in the world when taking shots of fast action.

_____

-Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 7:41 PM   #8

You are right Nick...Each has a place. The camera like my DX6490 is good in that the lenses you need to do what it is good at are always with you. If it was a good at low light shooting and fast action as a DSLR I'd be happy. As it is I'm going DSLR and keeping the DX!
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:36 PM   #9

F8 might get too soft. Not going to be much differance in dof if you open it up a few stops (w/ a point and shot) and will be sharper. I would stick w/ S mode.
If you 'pan' w/ the car you might get away w/ 1/500. If you just want to take a shot as the car passes you, then you will want to go higher, say 1/1000. This speed should even stop wheel blur. You might want to try AF lock.... if the 712 has it.
FaciaBrut wrote:
Quote:
Also try this: if the light is good, try shooting in Manual mode, ISO 200, 1/500-1/1000 @ f/8. f/8 will give you a deeper depth of field and may help your focus probs.
Yuma_R is offline   Reply With Quote