Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 22, 2006, 2:41 PM   #1

Helloes. I'm very new to photography, and have just come to understand things like image composition, whitebalance, shutter speed and aperture. (Well, I don't entirely get aperture yet; theory doesn't seem to match reality all that well ).

I'm am generally pleased wiht my P880's outdoor shots, at least in favourable conditions (distinct light, or distinct lightsource / sources where otherwise dark) , but I can't seem to get very good macro pictures. Generally I use the normal flower mode, as it allows flash (I don't have proper lighting equipment for macros without flash). Manual focus has been fun, but I haven't gotten any ok results yet.

My question is, if I purchased the Kodak lens adapter, what would an acceptable macro lens be?

Lindinblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2006, 2:13 AM   #2

Here are some that should work for you.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Remember ...when you use the adapter you won't be able to get as wide a shot as without the adapter. You will run into vignetting. That means it will be like looking through a tunnel until you zoom out some! I believ you can attach some lens and filters directly to the P880 lens. I'll let some of the others comment on that as I don't have and have not used the P880!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2006, 10:46 AM   #3

Thank you for reply.

Does this mean that any 55mm 'close up lens' would theoretically work with the adapter, and that some would even without the adapter?

(I'm in Ireland, so shipping from that place could potentially be a costly story)

In regards to vignetting, thanks for clearing up that term. Not much worse with the adapter than with the sun-hood, I suppose.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 4:10 PM   #4

Any 55mm closeup lens should fit with the adapter!. I have seen good results from the General brand cheap lens. I myself prefer Tiffen brand but have given all mine away. Like I said I've not had the priviledge of using a P880 yet but would think that you should get good results with the closeup lens as long as you zoomed out enough to get away from that vignetting!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:06 AM   #5

Ah, alright.

I've checked what I can order online..Soligor +1 +2 +4 macro 'filter' kit for 40USD, or Hoya +4 (HMC:d) for 25USD, and I'll choose either.

For further down the road though, I am interested if there are any real 55mm 'lenses' for macro that would fit the p880. Like http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...gory=EKN030484

There is that, and then a Schneider-Kreuznach wide-angle lens, but no fisheye or macro?
Old Dec 27, 2006, 8:57 PM   #6

You don`t need the adapter if you`re getting it only for macro lenses. The lens threads are 52mm. Just get 52mm close up lenses.
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:59 AM   #7

Ye-es..I' beginning to get a hold of this now, I think.

These single-element lenses , filters, can be screwed on on top of the fixed lens, as long as they fit mechanically.

Non single-element lenses though, such as the http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...gory=EKN030484, need to be of some special type to fit fixed-lens cameras?
I couldn't just by any 52mm macro multi-element lens, I suppose?
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:06 AM   #8

Yes you would need the adapter for a heavy lens according to Kodak. They don`t recommend attaching one to the camera lens threads.

Thats a lot of money for such a little bit of extra power. The 880 is 140mm x 1.4 =196mm.

Here`s a link on the subject,

http://forums.dpreview.com/... .../readflat.asp?forum=1011&thread=17135477
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:17 AM   #9

You can attach any close up lens to lens threads. Here`s a multi element close up, Canon 250d, there is also a 500d. 52mm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-52mm-close...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:59 AM   #10

Thanks for the links.

By 'close-up lens' I assume you mean one of the..less barrel-shaped ones, for lack of better terminology.

I've now settled on trying two things:
First, a kit of +1, +2 and +4 dioptries Soligor 'filters',
and secondly the Raynox dcr-250 multi-element closeup lens.

Will give report sometime in January, when I have both