Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 30, 2006, 1:04 AM   #1

Well after 1 year of suffering through many fuzzy motion shots on my P850, I decided to go looking for advise. I have no idea if my image stabalization is working, but I can not take a flash picture even when someone is walking.

I have latest firmware, but it does no good.

The sport setting is absolutly useless on the P850 in low light were flash is needed, Kodak should be ashamedat the way it releasethe sport setting as pictures are clearer in auto mode. I have lost every picture of my kids were anything was moving indoors, and about 50% of the outdoors as well. It is better out doors but nothing like what I got with 35mm.On about 50% of time things areslurred, but indoors with a flash isuseless to even try to capture motion.

I have been told it related to holding camera steady, but short of a trypod I have tried this with no positive result.

I have tried to do some reading on this sight about manual settings, but I guess I need to go back about 10yrs and get a refressher on Fstop schutter speed and ISO. There was a time when I new how to set everything manually on my 35 mm but not anymore.

Can somone advise how to check if image stabalization is working, and were to start as far as custom manual settings. What is difference between schutter priority and aperature priority?

thanks

Attached Images

mgolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2006, 1:05 AM   #2

Here is anouther....
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2006, 1:11 AM   #3

I believe your problem is that the P850 is simply not capable of the low-light shots you're looking for. It has very poor low-light performance, even for a point and shoot.

You may want to consider a new camera if you are using it primarily for indoor action shots, a DSLR would be best. I use the P850 for wildlife, macro and landscapes and it works wonderfully. Action shots are not it's specialty.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 1:45 AM   #4

If you expect the flash on the P850 to be of use in these shots forget it. It has a very limited range. The problem is that the camera adjusts the shutter speed to a low speed to get enough light in the camera for an exposure. This means that any movement in the photo such as the water or the skaters will apear blurred!

A couple of things you can do...

1. Get an auxilliary flash and flash bracket to give a lot more light at a longer range.

2. Got to P.A.S.M. mode and use shutter priority or manual mode. This will allow you to open the menu and change the ISO setting. You can't do this in Auto or Sports mode. Set the ISO to ISO 400. This will allow you to set the shutter speed to a higher (Quicker number). If using manmual mode Keep the Zoom to as wide an angle as possible. When you Zoom in you also cause the F/stop to change to a slower (Higher) number. By keeping it at the widest angle of zoom you can keep the F/stop down as well and use a faster shutter speed. Try 1/60 of a second shutter speed then work up from there until the photos become too dark. Always with a flash if possible but without one if you can only use the onboard flash and from more than 16 ft. or so.

3. Go to the place you are going to be shooting and practise before the event. This will allow you to get the settings you need before the action. You have to move up or down the shutter speed to get the shots to become better. Practise is the best way to achieve this! If the photos turn out a little dark don't worry. Better dark than Blurred. If they are dark..then a post processing program can correct them. If blurred they are usually blurred forever.

4. Start using a monopod or tripod for indoor sports shots. It will help. A telescoping monopod is usually the best for these as they take up so little room!

5. Anticipate the action and pan with the action. This will blur the background but the participants will apear sharper.

You can even try moving the ISO to ISO 800 or so. This will allow for even faster shutter speeds but may start making the photos noisey! Pixel noise. Either way you do it it can be done a little better than you have been doing in Auto or sports mode!
Hope this helps and things work out...

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 8:35 PM   #5

The P850 or most other P&S cameras will not make good pictures in low light. The only one that comes close to doing it is a Fuji as far as I know. Otherwise you need a DSLR or 35mm SLR.

Unless you take a lot of these type pics a 35mm might be the best. They nearly give them away now on Ebay.
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 8:44 PM   #6

To check IS take a pic with it off in low light of something like a magazine or newspaper . Then take the same pic with it on.

IS will not freeze motion. It just reduces hand jitter.

Aperatrure mode is where you set the lens opening ans shutter mode is where you set the shutter speed.

Set lens to f2.8. and let camera chose shutter speed.

You could set to a high shutter speed but the pic would be way underexposed.
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:10 AM   #7

The one thing that has not been mentioned here is that IS works when the camera moves. It does nothing for a moving subject. You have to compensate for that with your camera settings.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:20 AM   #8

When checking IS in low light is flash on or off?

thanks
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:51 AM   #9

I would use flash off for testing it. But I think your IS is probably working. That swimming pool shot you took will not be better with IS (Although I think to even get the shot that good you would need to have used it), someone moving in the air is very hard to capture in low light. Even with a DSLR you could end up having trouble with a shot like that if you didn't have a fast lens.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:51 AM   #10

Double Post: Sorry