Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 7, 2007, 7:52 PM   #1

I've had a Kodak camera and printer dock plus for a year or so, and the connectivity between the camera/printer dock and pc has never been a problem. The Easy Share software was 4.0.2 version. Then, I recently upgradedto 6.0.1.20 (per Kodak's recommendation), and it removed the connectivity between the pc and the camera/printer dock.

I've uninstalled the upgrade and original software, and reinstalled the old version - disconnecting all cables and reconnecting them like the original installation...to no avail. Have spent an hour on the phone with the Kodak help-desk. They tell me that it's a problem with my pc.....nothing shows up when right clicking My Computer, Properties, Hardware, and Device Manager. So, I spent 90 minutes on the telephone with a Dell analyst. His solution is to back up everything on the pc, and reinstall the operating system.

Oh, and yes I've done the System Restore.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any resolution or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
msutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2007, 9:41 PM   #2

There might be an answer, let me dig up something real quick and see if it works.

Edit: Found it! Check this post out and try that... letus know if that fixes it.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:57 AM   #3

Just a bit down there's a another subject around the easy share software, with a link to a Kodak utility to clean your system.

Thisprogram will get rid of everything the software leaves on your system and in your register. Maybe then you can do a clean install of the software again.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi...rUtility.jhtml

Hope it helps!

Richard.

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:26 PM   #4

In reply to both suggestions, I removed the cables connecting the printer dock to the pc, uninstalled the Kodak software via Control Panel, and used the Kodak utility to clean everything up. Restarted the pc, and installed the newest Kodak software. Then reconnected the printer dock to the USP ports. Still no printer recognized.

Any other suggestions? I appreciate the help!
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:36 AM   #5

Greetings,

Sorry to hear about the trouble installing EasyShare. I am glad to help if I can.

Can you tell me more about your computer and its attributes? Also, are you getting error screens etc.? Let me know exactly what you see upon installation and where things stop. Are you at work or at home. Are you the administrator of your system (are you the only one using that computer?). Have you removed all Kodak software via the Add Remove feature of Windows? Does a drive letter for your camera appear in your My Computer area when your camera is connected and powered on? I am not sure where you are at this time.

The clear utility should clear everything from your system but if you have made changes to your OS or software there may be a residual involved? The address for the latest clear feature is: http://www.kodak.com/go/clear

Once I have this information we should be able to get you running well in no time.

Talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:32 PM   #6

Can you tell me more about your computer and its attributes? It's a Dell. We're running MS Windows XP, Home edition, Version 2002, 512 MB RAM.

Also, are you getting error screens etc.? Let me know exactly what you see upon installation and where things stop. The uninstall and re-install finish completely. Upon re-booting, EasyShare opens appropriately. But, NOTHING shows up under device manager. And, when I press the transfer button on the printer dock, nothing happens.....it just blinks and blinks, no Kodak connection occurs as it did before the upgrade

Are you at work or at home. Home, in the evenings.

Are you the administrator of your system (are you the only one using that computer?). My husband and I both use the pc, and are set up as administrator.

Have you removed all Kodak software via the Add Remove feature of Windows? Yes. However, it still shows Kodak 2.0, but there is no file size associated with it, and it will not delete.

Does a drive letter for your camera appear in your My Computer area when your camera is connected and powered on? I am not sure where you are at this time. No. But, if I go to My Computer, c: drive, Program files, Kodak, there's an icon for the printer dock.....

The clear utility should clear everything from your system but if you have made changes to your OS or software there may be a residual involved? The address for the latest clear feature is: http://www.kodak.com/go/clear. The clear utility I used off the Kodak website is Clear6.5N.

I certainly appreciate your help!

Margaret

Parts of this bulletin board may not function unless you enable JavaScript (also called Active Scripting) in your browser.

Old Jan 10, 2007, 3:39 PM   #7

Greetings,

I am going to do a little research. When you were working on this were you logged in under your name and are you returning to work on the issue using the same log in identity. It can make a difference.

If I learn more I will be back soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:32 PM   #8

I was logged in under the same user name on my pc. Don't recall having to logon to the Kodak website to get the new software, but if I did, I've only one account so it'd have to be the same user name.

I'm open to any suggestions on connecting my camera to the pc, even if not using the Easy Share software (although that's not ideal).

Help, Ron, someone...help!!!!! I've spent way too much $$ on this camera and way too much time trying to fix this snafoo!! And, I'd prefer not to have to save everything on the pc, and re-load the OS as recommended by Dell.

Again, everything was working fine, great connectivity, until I upgraded the EasyShare software, then I lost my camera/dock connection.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 2:01 PM   #9

Greetings,

I think you might have some residual files on your system that are not being removed. Did you ever use the first versions of EasyShare, i.e. 2.0 etc.? If that is the case, the first thing I would do is try connecting the camera direct to the usb, i.e. take the PDock out of the loop. Are you familiar with the registry of your computer?

If your camera does not appear in the Device Manager in either the Imaging Device or USB area, you may have a usb cable problem. If you have an alternate usb cable, please try it.

In the interim, here are a few alternate methods to transfer pictures into the EasyShare software that you might want to consider trying.

With the camera connected without the dock, use EasyShare software to Add Pictures:
1. connect the camera to the usb and power it on
2. open EasyShare software and select the add pictures icon, located toward the top left of the screen
3. scroll down and see if the Kodak camera is listed, if yes, click on the Kodak camera folder to bring pictures in to the software.

You can use a Card Reader as well:
1. take the memory card out of the camera and set it into the Card Reader
2. open EasyShare software and select the add pictures icon, located toward the top left of the screen
3. scroll down and see if the Card Reader is listed, if yes, click on the Card Reader folder to bring pictures in to the software.

You can get your images using Windows XP - Driver Transfer Method:
1. connect the camera to the usb and then turn it on.
2. open the device manager, (right click the my computer desktop icon, select properties, select hardware, select device manager).
3. the camera will appear under the imaging devices or usb area, locate the camera and right click on it
4. select the update driver option and select to install from a list > next > then the don't search checkbox > next choices
5. select the Digital Still Camera selection and then > next
6. when transferring pictures, please select EasyShare software from the list of offered programs to transfer. Please also select the checkbox at the bottom of the offered programs window to always use easyshare software

You are now transferring pictures into Kodak EasyShare software using the Windows Picture Transfer Driver.
Noted, your connected camera will now appear as an Imaging Device in the Device Manager.

Please note, updating to the latest EasyShare software, located at:

http://www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw

and also running the Kodak Repair option from the Windows Control Panels Add Remove Programs area are good recommendations when pictures will not transfer to the computer.

Let me know how you make out.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Old Jan 18, 2007, 7:16 PM   #10

Hi Ron:

I've not been successful yet, but pleasekeep checking in! You've been very helpful, and I appreciate your advice and recommendations. I probably won't have time to dedicate to the "problem" until this w/e.

Margaret