Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 11, 2007, 8:00 PM   #1

Hi all.

Just wondering if there's anyone from the west coast here that could try to photograph the Comet that can be seen on the horizon just around sunset...brightest seen in 30 yrs...hope to see some posts :-)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Some info:

It was 4.5 mag on Dec. 26 (Piotr Guzik), then it is brightening rapidly. It has finally become brighter than 0 mag on Jan. 6, and already brightened up to -2.2 mag on Jan. 10 (Seiichi Yoshida). Now it is extremely difficult to observe it. However, because the comet is very bright, it is visible with naked eyes in the extremely low sky in the twilight if the sky condition is excellent. The comet is easily visible with a tail through binoculars. It looks as a great comet in Michael Jager and Gerald Rhemann's image on Jan. 7, and Alessandro Dimai's image on Jan. 8. It will pass only 0.17 A.U. from the sun in mid January, and reach to -3 mag. It will be also visible in the SOHO/LASCO images in mid January. It will pass only 40 arcmin from Mercury on Jan. 14 at 16 o'clock (UT). Because the comet is moving southwards, it will be unobservable in the Northern Hemisphere soon. In the Southern Hemisphere, it appears at around 2 mag in late January, then it keeps observable while fading gradually. In the Northern Hemisphere, it will never be observable again.

And a pic from the site:

TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2007, 2:30 PM   #2

Can you see it from the west coast of the Rio Grande?
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 3:10 PM   #3

wagaboo If you go to http://www.spaceweather.com andLook at the comet Mc Naught photo gallery on page 4 of the gallery is a picture of the comet taken in Duluth by Bob King whois the chief photogrpher for the Duluth News Tribune. The picture shows the comet over spirit mt. a local ski hill. It was taken about 1500 feet from my house on the evening of 1/10/07. andy 74
andy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 3:27 PM   #4

thats a cool shot but kinda waiting to see if any members here are able to get a shot and from what I here the closer you are to the northern part of the hemisphere the more likely one is to catch this thing in action and not just the west coast, apparently, east coasters get a good view as well.
Tim
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 4:16 PM   #5

Hi,

Left Coaster Here!!

Just found out about Comet. Sounds like it is low on the horizon. The sun sets behind the Olympic Range on the Olympic Penisula. Mountain peaksare some six to eight thousand feet in elevation. Seattle is approximately 70 miles easterly from thetallest peak. I figure the Angle from sea level would beroughly 1.23 degrees not taking into account curvature.

From my vantage point in Seattle vicinity do you think I would be able to see head of comet after sun sets behind them?

Ken S., Curiously
kselfrid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:06 PM   #6

Well, this left coaster came up empty. The day was nice, about 20 degrees F. clear blue skies, ready to go catch a comet.

5:00 PM PST: socked in to the west, sun setting in the south, at least that was where the sunset under the clouds was.

Ken, sadly
kselfrid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 1:38 AM   #7

No way here Wag...Too far towards Fred Greenhuts for my lil DX6490!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote