Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 16, 2007, 7:30 PM   #1

With my previous digital camera, I just plugged it into the USB port and it showed up as a removable drive. I selected the photos I wanted and copied them to the PC. Simple. Now, with the EasyShare One, I plug it in and nothing shows up, and I am forced to use Kodak's bloated, slow, buggy, and 100% useless software that I don't even want installed on my PC. It does nothing that Paint Shop Pro doesn't do better, and offers nothing that I want. Is there a way to upload the photos from the camera via USB without using any Kodak software whatsoever? I don't want wireless, I don't want to email pics, I don't want to sign up for any photo sharing account. I just want to upload pics to my PC, edit them in Paint Shop, and print them.
Orerockon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2007, 7:43 PM   #2
Administrator

I don't know the answer to your question (some cameras will work without the manufacturer's software and some won't).

But, the solution is simple if it won't.... Buy a card reader. You can pick up a USB attached reader for around $10 now. Just make sure you buy one that supports the type of memory card your camera is using.

USB Card Readers at newegg.com sorted by price

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 8:06 PM   #3

I agree, sounds like a card reader is the best bet for what you want. If not..heres what works with most all other Kodaks( no reports from Easyshare One users)

When you install Easyshare choose "custom installation", then install only the "camera connection software". This will allow your camera to connect without the space + memory hogging rest of the program

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 8:14 PM   #4

dan279 wrote:
Quote:
I agree, sounds like a card reader is the best bet for what you want. If not..heres what works with most all other Kodaks( no reports from Easyshare One users)

When you install Easyshare choose "custom installation", then install only the "camera connection software". This will allow your camera to connect without the space + memory hogging rest of the program

Dan
The EasyShare One camera does not ome with a memory card, its memory is internal and is already large enough to hold hundreds more pics than I need it to hold. It has a slot for a card but I wouldn't know how to force it to use the card, nor do I want to buy a card and/or card reader if I don't need one. The "camera connection only" software installation results in process(es) that hang around hogging RAM and system resources, start on startup and don't have an option not to start automatically, and result in a perceptible slowdown in Windoze XP. Almost nothing runs on this PC without my starting it, and that's on purpose. Plus, I am not into having unnecessary software around, period. I use this PC every day for RAM- and processor-intensive GIS applicaitons and cannot have any junkware slowing it down. Thanks anyway...
Orerockon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 9:20 AM   #5

I think all you would have to do to "force it to use" a card is put a card in the slot. As much as you don't like the Kodak software, I'd think getting a 256mb or 512mb SD card and a card reader would be a "no-brainer." XP will see the reader and card as a removable drive, and you can just copy the whole folder to your hard drive.

I have had 5 digital cameras that use SD cards (still have 2), and have never installed the PC software for any of them.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 9:41 AM   #6

I agree with, Tom-

If convience is the issue here, then simply purchase an appropiately sized SD Card and a Chip Reader. IMHO, it would be a whole lot easier in the long run.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote