Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 20, 2007, 11:28 AM   #1

I was just wonderingif anyone here works in a photo-related field? I currently do not. I'm in retail :?
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:02 PM   #2

I work in a "photo" related field, but I do very little of the actual photography. As some of the old-timers here are aware, I work in the marketing department of the largest real estate company in New Mexico. On a daily basis I collect, catalog and post process a batch of real estate listing photos. I work in Photoshop, LightRoom, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, Quark, and FileMaker Pro. I prep the photos for output to newsprint ads, in-house color publications, outsourced postcard and newsletter printing and our glossy real estate magazine. I also upload photos to various local and national real estate websites.

The photos I DO take are usually re-shoots when our photo staff takes a lousy shot and the listing client is not happy with the photo(s). Maybe the sky was overcast that day, or there was an overflowing trash can in front of the home or the sun was behind the home causing glare. I used to shoot with my "old" P850, but now use my new Canon Rebel XTi with a moderate wide angle zoom lens.

Errr... why do you ask?
Attached Images

FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 1:26 PM   #3

FaciaBrut wrote:
Quote:
Errr... why do you ask?
Oh I was just being curious (nosey? lol). :-)

I'd love to work in a photo related field but not sure if I'll ever get the chance.

niki
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 6:18 PM   #4

I used to develop and print pictures in a Wal-Mart photo lab, but recently took a promotion to an entry-level, hourly management position. The photolab was so much more fun, but it's way too hard to say no to a promotion. Went from one of the lowest paying hourly positions in Walmart to one of the highest. Like I said, it would have been near impossible to say no.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 6:20 PM   #5

I teach photography courses for several universities, our local community college, and I conduct digital camera workshops on cruise ships. So I stay busy almost year around.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 6:47 PM   #6

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I conduct digital camera workshops on cruise ships

MT/Sarah
How far in advance are these workshops planned? Do you know what cruises you are teaching on this year already?
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:40 PM   #7

I work on manufacturing equipment, doing mechanical and electrical trouble shooting and repair. Photography is my hobby and one of my passions after my wife, my family and Kung Fu!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:25 AM   #8

Inn-

The workshops are usually planned a year in advance. Lecturers have to have an agent and the scheduling in done by the co-ordination of your agent and the cruise lines. In turn, we pay our agent. We are not paid to do the workshops but we do get a free cruise. our expense is the cost of the agent, our air transportation to and from the cruises, and our gratuities on board. it works well for retired folks like us, that like to travel.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:44 AM   #9

Many years ago, I worked for a photo studio as a candid photographer. Then I became a police officer, and photography was limited to vacations/family events. I got interested in video in the 90's and for about 6 years had my own wedding video business. Now I'm retired from the police force and the video business as well. I have rekindled my interest in still photography again with digital. I use my Kodak P880 and V550 at this time. Editing software is primarily Corel Paint Shop XI and MGI Photosuite. I have resolved not to let my hobby become "work" again. It's just for the fun and enjoyment.

Greg

PS: Sarah, now that I'm a retired type, maybe I'll be on one of your cruises someday!
gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:15 AM   #10

I was interested because my parents are planning a cruise for our family this summer and was wondering if, by rare chance, you (or someone) would be teaching a digital photography class? Also, how indepth are these classes?