Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:25 PM   #11

Dan,

That's what I think too, that the metal ring around the zoom lens comes off and that's where the adapter ring goes. If that's the case and the adapter is used to screw an auxiliary w/a or tele lens, how would that work as the distance from front element of the zoom lens and the rear of the would vary as you zoom?

Greg
gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 1:06 AM   #12

Do you have an 880 camera Greg? I know about the other lenses on Kodak cameras and the Zooming is done internally. Not sure about the 880. With the others the lens stays the same distance out even when you zoom. I've used an adapter tube and filters and auxilliary lenses for over 2 years now and taken way over ten thousand photos so I do know it works for the majority of ultra zoom Kodak cameras. The only one I've not had any experience with is the P880. It may function differently as it does have the manual zoom lens. I don't know there!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:07 AM   #13

Dawg,

The 880's manual zoom lens does change the external length of the lens. This adapter tube would place an aux lens at the far reach of the zoom. But what would happen if you zoomed back to wide is that the front element of the main lens and the rear element of the aux would be about 1 1/4 in apart. Right now, I don't have any aux lenses except for closeup filters, which attach to the zoom lens threads. I can't seem to get that ring loosened from the camera body either (it is just forward of the knurled zoom ring in the photo). It won't turn by hand and I'm sure not going to use vise-grips on it! So we may never know how this adapter tube really works, which is ok, since it was a freebie with an ebay order.

Greg

Photo courtesy Kodak site.

Attached Images

Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:00 AM   #14

Not to beat this one to death, but I did get that ring off the camera body and attach the tube in it's place. At w/a lens setting, the 'vignetting' was severe. I could see almost the entire length of the tube and a circle at the end. Not real useful, even for an effect. So, putting on a w/a lens would require zooming to tele, which is a photographic oxymoron, no? Maybe it would be practical adding a 2x tele-extender. It would then put the weight of the extender on metal vs. plastic threads of the lens itself.

I put my close up filters on the tube and took a shot at max magnification. Then I took off the tube and put the c/u filter on the lens itself and to the same shot. Well, the difference is negligible, so the tube is useless in that application also.

Anyway, for my purposes, I have a totally worthless attachment for my camera. At least I didn't pay for the thing! And that's my story (and I'm stickin' to it).

Greg
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:37 AM   #15

Greg that is whay I asked about the camera you have...that camera ( the P880 ) has severe issues with the adapter tube as it does vignette quite severly when zoomed back to wide angle...I try to post answers and advice if I'm fairly certain of the answers. With the P880 I'm in some unknown territory and rely on others that have used it to give more diffinetive answers. I do know that the DX and Z lines all can benefit from use of an adapter and are better protected that way. You are more than welcome to your story as it seems to be the truth! Have fun shooting and post some photos! LOL Y'all have a good day Ya' Heah!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 5:54 AM   #16

The P880 lens adapter is a specific for that camera. It has a female thread on each side - one toward the camera and one toward the added lens ( I have a 1.4X Xenar Telephoto lens)The adapterscrews on after you remove the black ring around the lens tube of the camera. In my experience it will not come off by a vicelike grip, but only by a light twist of the ring. ( The more you press on the circumference of the ring the tighter the grip to the camera body thread...). The telephoto lens must use the adapter, and indeed there is a considerable vignette at W/A. The vignette disappears when zooming toabt. 80mm.

Enjoy.

(Hope this helps to reduce the confusion.)

Attached Images

Raanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 7:59 AM   #17

This was taken with a phone-cam (hence the lousy quality), just to show how to remove the ring from the camera thread, to allow attaching the lens-adapter
Attached Images

Old Jan 29, 2007, 8:44 AM   #18

Thanks for the info and pics, Raanan. I did manage to get the front ring off the camera and put the tube on. I see in your photo that you have a tele adapter lens. Does it work well using the lens tube? I was thinking of the wide-angle lens for an almost fish-eye perspective. But then in the w/a position of the camera zoom lens, you'd get that vignetting. So, as I said, you'd have to put the camera lens into telephoto to use the wide-angle auxiliary lens, which makes no sense at all. If I get one, I'm sure I'll have to screw it directly into the zoom lens plastic threads - and be real careful!

Greg
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:53 AM   #19

Hi Greg,

The adapter works well,it is what it claims to be - an adapter for 55mm accesories, like the telephoto lens and the wide angle lens.Kodak has the Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 0.7 X wide angle 55mm lens which they recommend for the P880 and this, I am sure, would fit into the adapter we have been discussing, leaving the plastic lens thread solely for the lens hood. Kodak has a very nice support center at the Kodak.com site, with the ability to have a live chat with Kodak technicians. I have used it and they are very good.

I personally cannot say how effective the extra w/a lens would be for the 880, which features a w/a lens anyway, but I can say that the tele lens does not give much of a boost....

Enjoy the snow over there and take beautiful pictures...

Old Jan 30, 2007, 9:16 AM   #20

Hey, Raanan,

My lens tube has 52 mm threads on the outer end, so I'd still need a stepping-ring to use 55mm accessories. Speaking of which, you say you have the Kodak Schneider .7 lens? That should result in a view comparable to a 16mm lens on the Kodak in the 24mm position. But that would have to be attached directly to the lens without the adapter tube to be of any use. I may wind up with that lens, even if it does have to be screwed into the plastic threads of the main lens. I just love super-wide angle shots.

Greg