Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:15 AM   #21

Hi Greg,

I see what you mean about the vignette leading to an oxymoron situation (of zooming into get a wide angle effect), but I dont see another way to attach the Kodak Xenar w/a lens other than using the Kodak adapter. No, I dont have the .7, I have the 1.4X tele which attaches very well. Looking at the plastic thread around the camera lens barrel structure I think I would be careful about the actual choosing of the lens because the type and size of thread there are totally different than the threadon the adapter ring.

Other than that - do you enjoy the 880?

Raanan
Raanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:27 AM   #22

Hi, Raanan,

I really am enjoying the 880. I picked that model because it had the widest angle zoom in it's class. It has a lot of features and flexibility, as do most better digitals, but in the end, the 880 gave me the w/a I wanted.

As you said, I would be extremely careful about mounting an aux lens to those plastic threads on the zoom lens. I think Bigdawg mounted an aux lens to his camera directly. Hey, Dawg, did your zoom have plastic or metal threads to mount the aux lens on?

Greg
gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:29 PM   #23

Greg, the DX6490 has metal threads and it mounts to the camera frame and not to the lens. The Olympus TCON-17 I use works great with the 10X zoom I have....I don't know how well any TCON will work with the P880. I use the .07 Schneider lens to go wide angle and it will vignette a little bit with my DX6490. Not enough that I can't remove it easy with a clone stamp!

I would be very careful with any lens directly connected to a lens as when shutting the camera down it may cause the lens to hang up and stall the motor that moves the lens in and out! Just a thought! Have fun with what ever you decide to get!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:16 PM   #24

Thanks, Dawg. I thought your camera might have metal threads. With the P880, there's no worry that shutting down the camera with harm the lens even with attachments. The 880's zoom is strictly manual and shutting down the unit has no effect on the position of the lens, unlike many motorized zoom cameras which automatically retract the lens.

Greg
gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:49 PM   #25

See. I told you I didn't know enough about the P880. Like Dad always said better to admit ignorance than be called a fool! I see what you mean and if I'd been thinking I'd have known before. Thanks for the info Greg...For this is the way we all learn.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote