Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:51 PM   #1

I bought a set of closeup lenses on ebay and as part of the deal, a metal 'lens tube' was included. I just don't have any idea what it is for or how to use it. Can anybody tell me about this accessory? Thanks.

Greg
gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2007, 1:07 PM   #2

If the tube is what I think it is:

Tube goes into camera around lens (not front of lens).

Your filter (or aux. lens) screws into end of tube.

Your lens can now move freely with out being torn out when contracted into the camera body by the filter/aux lens.

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:34 AM   #3

What camera do you have Greg?? It matters because on some of the newer Kodaks the filter if the right size can be screwed onto the end of the lens or you can use the adapter tube. Some of the others you can only use an adapter tube as the lens has no outer threads!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:31 PM   #4

hi, I have been following this thread and have a question. I have the Kodak Z710 camera. I'd like to attach a UV filter (to protect the lens, 'cause the lens cap is a bit flimsy.) Can someone tell me what size filter I need toattach the filter right over the lens? Or is an adapter is required? The company folks were not too helpful with this question...:sad: Thanks...
HarrietLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:36 PM   #5

Welcome, Harriet...you will need a lens adapter for the z710, which will then accept 55mm filters...Your in luck, Kodak's running a sale right now
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...equestid=11969

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:29 PM   #6

hi dan - and thanks for your help. i will look at the adapter. but i do have a couple more questions...:idea: i always used a uv filter to directly protect the lens on my 35mm cameras, and am not familiar with the adapters, the filter fit directly to the lens.

when i turn off the z710, the lens retracts into the external lens cylinder.will i have to remove the adapter when i turn off the camera? (i hope you can picture what i'm asking - it is a bit hard to explain.)

do you happen to know the actual filter size that would might fit the camera directly? i understand that kodak does not make one.

i have taken some test photos with the camera and have been really pleased with it. just want to keep it from being injured, the lens cap is not exactly a "snug" fit.

thanks again,

h

Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:31 PM   #7

This lens tube is black anodized aluminum. It is labeled "lens adapter for Kodak P880." It is about 2 1/2 in deep, with 52 mm thread (female) on one end and has larger female threads on the other. It looks very much like the product Kodak has on their site as an accessory for the P880 and it is supposed to allow you to adapt 55mm filters to the 52mm P880 lens. Pic of Kodak adapter below. I really can't see how this contraption is supposed to work. Even the distributor I got it from doesn't have any more info.
Attached Images

gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:09 AM   #8

The lens adapter doesn't fit to the lens on most Kodak cameras it fits just outside the lens to the camera body and extends just far enough to avoid any filter or auxilliary lens from striking the camera lens when it is extended! Go here for a look at it. The same lens adapter fits the Z740, Z710 and the Z650!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

This will allow you to fit a Filter or a TCON or Wide Angle, or a Closeup lens to the Z710 camera!

Again it screws to the camera body not to the lens. It allows enough room for the camera lens to extend without hitting any filter or lens you have mounted!!!!
I use a Skylight 1-A filter on mine and leave it on almost all the time to protect my lens! The UV filter will do the same! Don't buy the cheap off brand ones as some of them are not long enough to prevent the lens from hitting. Don't buy the cheapest filter either. Stay away from the Optica brand set as it is pure trash!

[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:22 PM   #9

Harriet, I'm pretty sure the 710 will not accept filters directly, you need the adapter. And yes I know exactly what you mean- I leave my adapter + a uv filter on the dx7590 almost all the time

Greg, I think the 880 has a metal ring around the body where the lens slides in and out which can be removed to attach the adapter

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:58 PM   #10

thanks alot for the information and the photos. it really did help me understand the Kodak "system."