Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:50 PM   #1

If I uninstall my Kodak Easyshare software, will all my Kodak folders be deleted as well? I have all my photos stored in folders by date, under Kodak. I'm having trouble with the software and thought maybe if I uninstall and then reinstall, it'd work better and I wouldn't have so many problems. Thanks!
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2007, 1:04 PM   #2

I don't think it will delete your photo folders. But it is probably a good idea to backup your photos before you attempt to delete/uninstall anything. It has been a while since I last removed and re-installed my copy of EasyShare.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:33 AM   #3

I install and uninstall mine all the time as it is such a hog for ram and disc space. But I don't store any photos in it and I do not let it take over my photos as it wants to do when you first install it! I like Microsoft's pic an fax viewer for that.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:22 AM   #4

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
But I don't store any photos in it and I do not let it take over my photos as it wants to do when you first install it!

Ok, so how, when I upload my photos, get them to go somewhere else, besides the EasyShare software? I need to backup all my photos anyways on disks and delete them off the computer...they're taking up way too much space and my computer is running so slow.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 5:09 PM   #5

I use a card reader and do the copy and paste to the Pic Dump folder I set up on one of my three hard drives. Then I review them and process and file any I may want to post later on. Then I burn the photos in the Pic Dump to a CD when there are enough to fill the CD.I only use the Kodak software when I plan on using the Kodak printer to print some photos the wife wants to store in her many albums. When I get through printing I unload the Kodak software as it will make your computer about twice as slow!

When you can you may wish to look into a large size hard drive. I have a 20 gig and 2 200 gig hard drives. The 20 gig is for photos only. The operating system is on one of the others and all my programs on the third. Makes for faster work and never a storage problem. Also the more ram the better..I have 2 gigs and would love a hundred more! LOL

Dawg

Old Jan 28, 2007, 5:56 PM   #6

Thanks for explaining it Dawg :-)I just went and upgraded my RAM this afternoon (did it myself :G) and bought more CD-R's. I asked the guy at BB and he said photos don't take up memory on a computer though? Hmmm...
Old Jan 28, 2007, 8:33 PM   #7

They (photos) use memory "ram" to process and transfer. Also if you have insuficient ram to do the processing or transfer then the processing program uses the Hard Drive for Virtual Memory! As far as storing the photos.... this takes no memory after the transfer is completed but does use hard drive space... until you burn them to CD...which by the way uses ram to work that process also! So he was right and he was wrong. I think of Ram as dynamic memory...it is used when doing something.
Hows the extra ram doing?

Dawg
Old Jan 29, 2007, 7:39 AM   #8

Oohhh, ok! Thanks for explaining it Dawg!

The extra RAM is working beautifully---soooo much faster now!
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:26 AM   #9

Told Ya'!! LOL People in stores don't always know what they are talking about. I could tell you some true horror tales and comedies about the Wolf camera store and the Circuit City in Huntsville! LOL I may be mistaken but I won't lie and have enough good sense to say I don't know when I don't know!

Dawg
Old Jan 30, 2007, 5:37 PM   #10

Greetings Scrappy,

What are the problems you are having with your EasyShare software?

If it is related to where your albums are stored you can change the location at the time of image transfer or by editing the software. Since EasyShare is a cataloging program, it needs to have the images on your hard drive. Once they are moved to the hard drive (for example /my pictures/ kodak pictures). If you want some pictures there and some at another location on your hard drive, you can change the transfer locationto another place on the hard drive (Local Disk C:/).
1. Right-click the Kodak EasyShare software icon and select Preferences.
2. Click the Transfer tab.
3. Click the Browse button next to Select the location on your hard disk where you want to copy transferred pictures:.
4. Select a location on your HD that you have created or want to use and click OK.
5. Transfer your pictures from you camera to the computer.

Your images will transfer to that location in the future. EasyShare will know where they are.

You can also simply transfer the images to your hard drive using other methods and later tell EasyShare to Add Pictures. It will ask you where they are. Just tell the program where you have stored the images and it will find and reference them.

If you remove images from your computer, however, you will break the link/reference that EasyShare has made to them and so not be able to find them later if you want to use them.

So, if you do not have a lot of HD space, remember that feature. You may want to get a new hard drive, they are quite inexpensive these days, and should enable your system to store all the images you have.

As to the concept of memory, I like to look at it like I was a job shop. My hard drive is my warehouse or storage area. The RAM is my work bench. Whenever I get a job to do, I go to the warehouse and get the tools I need (programs like photoshop, word, etc.) and bring them to my work bench (RAM). I then either create my work or work on jobs I have already started and saved (files) from another part of the storage area (HD). When I am finished working I store them back in the storage area (HD).

Talk to you soon, Scrappy, glad to help you if I can.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote