Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:39 PM   #1

Something I haven't done since Photo 101 back in the dark(room) ages is studio portraits. I have a couple of cheap slave strobes, an umbrella and just got a background cloth.

I set up my background and used one strobe to light it, set another above and behind as a 'hair' light, and bounced my main flash (remember the Vivitar 283?) off the umbrella. lI got my fellow car-enthusiast, Steve, to be my guinea pig. A few test shots to set exposure, and we were ready to go. Boy, compared to those old days, using the digital (P880) is a piece of cake. Just review the shots and make a couple of adjustments on the spot. How great is that?

Anyway, here's one of the shots from our little photo shoot. I might fine tune things a bit, but overall I'm pretty happy with my little portrait studio. I have 2 light stands, the backdrop stands and crosspiece and the background material, all of which I got off ebay (new) for under $75. The slave strobes were $25 and $40 each and the main strobe was $30 used on ebay. Did I mention that I get a lot of stuff on ebay? LOL. Oh, and, almost forgot, it was a lot of fun!

Greg
Attached Images

gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:03 AM   #2

Nicely done Greg!! Have you ever visited this place?

http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Lots of good and I mean good stuff on flash photography!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:18 AM   #3

Nice job, Greg

Dawg, thats a great link, I'm enjoying that site a lot

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:13 AM   #4

Thanks, guys. As I look again at this shot, I can see some things that need improvement, but I was gratified to be able to get good results from my budget mini-studio. And again, Bigdawg comes through with a wealth of information. I enjoyed reading the Strobist pages, and followed the link to a book on dramatic portrait lighting, which I ordered from Amazon.

I don't want to get on a soapbox, but I really want to encourage other photo-hobbyists to expand their horizons with off-camera, multiple flash. You don't have to spend a fortune to get into a setup like I have, and it's really not that complicated to use. I've just gotten started and I can't wait to shoot some nice, quality portraits of my family and friends. I'm just not sure whether they'll think I'm the greatest thing since peanut butter, or the biggest PITA around.

As far as my camera goes, the P880 serves me well in this setup. The PC connection (the little outlet on the side of the camera that connects external strobes) is one of the reasons I picked this camera. The built-in flash is ok for snapshots of family etc, but off-camera flash is the way to go for better, more professional results. The shot below was taken by the camera flash. Compare it to the first shot - which one looks more 'professional?'

Greg
Attached Images

gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:37 AM   #5

Very nicely done, Gregg-

I especially like shot #1. I was also experimenting with a bit of portraiture last week. This was taken with my V-550 as an experiment in casual portraits.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote